• Register Today It's free!

snorkel question

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
my question is will 3inch pvc pipe be to big or just right in size it is my daily driver so i want to put a snorkel on and hopefully not sacrifice to much gas mileage. another question is where can i get the snorkel head :exporange:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 inch PVC would be rather big for the stock 4.0L. Maybe you'd need 3" if you have a huge big block V8 in there or something.

I'd say 2-2.5" would be good, maybe 2.25" in black if you can get it.

You can get a snorkel head from most off-road places, but a lot of people just attach a cone filter to the end instead.

is there any heads i should stay away from? and putting a filter on top is almost out of the question here is tenn it can start rainin any min and forever lol

Hardware stores like menards and the like have plastic raincaps for vents and such that would work for ya to keep water out, just have to put a filter inline somewhere.

would a 2.5 inch pvc snorkel be better on gas mileage than a 3 inch? the 2.5 would have more velocity than the 3 but the 3 would have more volume

Hello

in my Explorer the tube from the snorkel to the airbox is 2 inches and it works well because the air has more pressure .....

I put pictures to get an idea

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

3" worked well on mine.

would a 2.5 inch pvc snorkel be better on gas mileage than a 3 inch? the 2.5 would have more velocity than the 3 but the 3 would have more volume

velocity matters at the throttle body, injectors, and valves. I don't know if the 2.5" would be a restriction or not. But when talking about intake pipes, I stick with bigger is better.

vela sweet set up good pictures. and the bigger is better is what i was thinkin to lol

velocity matters at the throttle body, injectors, and valves. I don't know if the 2.5" would be a restriction or not. But when talking about intake pipes, I stick with bigger is better.

They really don't need to be larger than 2.5". Even the larger aftermarket headers and exhaust only dump into 2.5" pipe, and you are adding additional volume in the form of heat and burnt fuel. Your intake pipe can be much smaller than that and never add restriction.

I want those headlight mount brackets!

Are those sealed beam lamps or do they use H4 bulbs?

I want those brackets too and I have been looking for a pair. Even if I don't give up on trying to make my front fascia using the round bulbs come out well, my dad wants to get rid of those horrible headlights.

To answer your question, those are normal sealed beam bulbs, though you can opt for some of the higher end replacement bulbs like Cibie that use an H4.

Seriously though vela, PM us if you can find some extra headlight assemblies that you can ship to us and let us know what you want for them. Obviously Anime has first pick, but yeah.

Sorry for the question, but that lights mean? the fog?

(My English is not very good and I use the google translator)

the headlight assembly, not the fog.

Your headlights assemblies are better because they use a glass replaceable 200mm X 142mm bulb. European lighting regulations are better than US DOT lighting regulations, so they had to use it. I've been trying to find those assemblies for a while now.

In the US, our headlights look like this

Attachments

• 03-17-08_1453.jpg
    03-17-08_1453.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,008

Those are the aftermarket U.S. assemblies.

We want the kind that are on your Explorer, that accept the 200mm rectangle lamps.

Surely there are Ford dealers in Europe and other countries that have these sitting around collecting dust and would love to sell them to us.

If not, I'm pretty sure the old Ranger/Bronco II sealed beam mounts can be modified to fit these with the stock brackets.

Actually, fwiw, I think there are plenty of headlight buckets that will fit our assemblies, I believe the Euro-spec headlight brackets are the same, they just have the bucket assembly in place of the composite headlight we use in the US.

I believe the difference is in the bezel the reflector and turn signal attach to.

If that is the case, it might be a far easier retrofit since I am sure they made far more of the bezels, and those would be cheaper, as well as easier to ship.

Here in Spain there are very few Explorer and most are the American model as mine there are 2 or 3 and all running, but if I find some lighthouses such as informs.:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back