• Register Today It's free!

Snow Chain for Ford Explorer

BayCrusher1628

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone use a snow chain for 2016 Explorer Sport P255/50R20? any suggestion.. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you read the section on their use in the Owner's Manual, page 322. There is very specific information and specifications on them and they are to be used on the front wheels only. Something I wasn't aware of. Ford seems to have changed their stance on the use of chains with 20" wheels. In earlier models this was something they said not to do.

Peter

I was told under no circumstances should you be putting chains on a 20" performance wheel and tire. That came from AWD engineers on the program.

Not sure why that would change for 17 MY

Spend the money for steel wheels,TPMS valves, and dedicated tires, its the best snow performance and safest way to go.

Nevermind it will save your OEM rims.

Given the engineering and design of today's snow/ice tires I thought chains were almost a thing of the past.

I re-read the Manual and it seems that although the wording re 20" tires has changed it appears they are still not approved, indirectly. Here is what the 2016 and 2017 Manual states regarding Snow Chains;

Your vehicle may not be compatible with snow chain or cable usage with the factory-fitted wheels and tires. Only certain chains or snow cables have been approved by Ford as safe for use on your vehicle with the following wheel and tire combination(s): 18”x8”x44mm Wheel and P245/60 R18 Tire. You should only install chains or cables that have been rated as 10 mm or less in dimension as measured on the sidewall of your tire. Not all S-class snow chains meet these restrictions. Chains of this size restriction will include a tensioning device. The chains should be mounted in pairs on the front tires only. If you need to use chains, it is recommended that steel wheels (of the same size and specification) be used, as chains may chip aluminum wheels.

I have a feeling OP has to deal with "chain control," and although chains should be a thing of the past, California hangs on?

Being from the San Francisco Bay Area we see "Chain Controls" in the Sierra Nevada's. Two wheel drive vehicles whether front or rear drive requires "chains". However, chains also include cable chains. With the Explorer Sport which is effectively an AWD, just switch terrain management dial to snow and you should be fine as long as your tires are M+S (mud and snow) rated. Our 2016 Sport came from factory with the Hankook's and are M+S rated. So, no chains needed.

The signs in the Sierras wordings are a bit outdated. If I recall correctly it says, " CHAN REQUIRED on all vehicles except vehicles with Snow tires or 4X4". Studded tires are not allowed in CA and NV. They still have studded tires in other parts of the country? I think I just dated myself.

On the theme of snow, if you have the factory cross rails and have Yakima ski racks from your previous vehicle and was wondering how to attach them, Yakima now has Mighy Mount Universal adapters (#8003590) available. Yakima has done away with vehicle specific Mighty Mount adapters. I just bought a set and mounted my older Yakima Button Down 6 to the factory cross rails. Happy skiing or snowboarding

Since I only have all season tires but not snow tires on my 20" wheels, IF I were to buy some low profile cable "chains", where would I put them?
Front or rear if I'm already in snow driving mode?
The manual is no help from what I have found and searches here are not totally clear either.
And YES, I am in California with all their stupid over-reactionary rules.
Thanks

You want the chains on the rear if only doing one set.

I don’t think they are recommended with the 20s. If I truly needed chains, I’d have a set of winter use tires/rims.

Thanks. I knew about the NON-recommendation for using chains or cables on the 20" wheels but can't fogure out exactly why. The base model's oem tires are 245/60/R18 and mine are 255/50/R20. the difference in both height and width is exactly 4/10ths of an inch.
Doesn't seem like this would be an issue with snug fitting cable chains.
I have read that in normal drive mode, my Platinum is front wheel biased but in snow mode, I couldn't find that info.
Does it switch to rear wheel bias in snow mode?

It’s the reduced sidewall. Chains move around quite a bit as you drive. 4/10 is actually a lot of difference in clearance.

You want the chains on the rear if only doing one set.

I don’t think they are recommended with the 20s. If I truly needed chains, I’d have a set of winter use tires/rims.
Would you not want them on the front since the vehicle is FWD biased?

Peter

Gonna be a lot less clearance in the front since the wheels turn. In snow mode I’d think it’d be driving the front and rear continuously.

I believe that I would place them on the front.

I have watched the terrine management system on the dash when in snow mode and you are still in front wheel drive over 80% of the time.

Have you considered tracks?

ez-hd-tracks.jpg

Just to note: Ford has some supplemental manuals for various AWD CUV vehicles that says chains on all 4 wheels or no chains. Also may want to check your state laws as they may specify chains on rears or all for AWD vehicles.

Toyota says chains on rears on all their AWD CUVs.

Remember top speed is 20-30mph. Hope you don't need to go far with them on.

If you are following Fords recommendations, there are no chains suitable for his vehicle.

I have run cables on my 20's and not had one issue. My Exp is only FWD.

I live in CA and they do not salt the roads in Sierra Nevada mountain roads, they do put some sand mixture down. Anyhow, without the cables, my car will not move on the icy road, so we have to use cables.

When I get home, I will post the brand of cables that I have.

I am sure a set of winter tires would be a better option, but for the once or twice a year that we head up to the snow, the cables are much more economical option(about $100) and for the rest of the year we just don't have a need for a winter tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know others have used/recommended cables before. Are they an acceptable replacement for areas that say chains must be used?

Peter

Back