Snow tires and wheels causing vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow tires and wheels causing vibration

slimsol

Reaction score
I bought this used wheels and tire combination they came balanced and mounted
http://picasaweb.google.com/111916802831410032748/Misc?authkey=Gv1sRgCJiropHXwdjrVg&feat=directlink

Misc

I dont know what suv or truck they came off from. After installiking those tires and wheels in my explorer my suv vibrated from 30-40 and 65-70. Vibration goes away after 40mph and comes back at 65 and goes aways after 70.

Tires are very noisy and rough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using correct lugnuts?
Using hubcentric rings?

If not using a hub centering ring, you need to be sure you snug down the lug nuts evenly while the wheel is still in the air. This will ensure the wheel does get centered using the lug nuts. You'll basically want to tighten the lug nuts almost to their final torque spec while the wheel is still in the air.

If done properly, you shouldn't have any issues. I've done this with the winter wheels on my VUE.

The wheels will vibrate if they are off just a little bit. I had a customer one time come in and he had a spare off a different truck and the studs cut through the actual rim. Keep an eye on them maybe get them rebalanced possibly? The tires could have wore weird on the other vehicle if it was not aligned properly.

Back