Snowball 94 Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well some bad news on the ole Girl today while heading over to one of my friends house the thermostat apparently locked up the Temp gauge never showed really hot but after parking her I heard a gurgling sound. I popped the hood and saw bubbles from the overflow a minute after that coolant started pouring out. I left the hood open and hung out for a while. Before leaving I checked the coolant level and the Radiator was completely full. I topped off the overflow and left.

Well after driving a while I notice the temp climbing higher so I stopped looked under the hood and nothing abnormal but when I started her back up the gauge was all the way to the H. I kicked the heat on High and drove straight to my mechanic avoiding all traffic lights to keep her cooler.

The thermostat was replace less then 2months ago so I'm hoping it's the prob so it will be fixed under warranty. Oh and while it was still hot I squeezed the upper coolant tube and it had a lot pf pressure I could barley squeeze it

What do ya'll think??

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have thought about removing but not sure of how to go about it and how hard it would be.

ive heard it is suppper easy. just pull it off and wipe with like goof off. but be very conservative with any chemicals as to not take oof the finish. a wax would most likly be in order after the removal.

Just a little update have had no overheating issues since I washed the Radiator.

Today I also ordered a bunch of LED's to convert the gauges and possibly some other interior lights.:D They should arrive before Friday!

It's anise looking truck. Some thing I would do is take off the running boards off. After that you may decided that you don't want a lift. It will make it look higher.

It's anise looking truck. Some thing I would do is take off the running boards off. After that you may decided that you don't want a lift. It will make it look higher.

I have thought about taking them off but have really come to like them so they will stay. They make mine stick out from the other 1st Gen's in my area.

Well, for my 4x4, I had a list of some stuff. Before I say anything, I just wanted to say that it's kind of ridiculous for someone to try and tell someone else how to mod their truck. It's pretty much the point of modding to customize it to the way you want it. Pretty rude to trash someone else's rig because it doesn't fit your personal taste. :/

Some stuff I want to do to mine is:
- Remote start, keyless entry, security alarm
- Interior LEDs and switches for various things
- Newer model seats
- Possible Overhead Console from a 2nd gen
- Paint some interior pieces (Light blue to match LEDs)
- New Subs, Door speakers, and an amp
- 3" to 5" of lift and some 33's
- Gauges from a 2nd generation (The ones that go up to 120mph)
- Cowl induction Hood
- Grill/Bush gaurd
- Roof Basket w/ spare tire relocated to it
- Dual exhausts

just to name a few (ok, a lot).

Before I say anything, I just wanted to say that it's kind of ridiculous for someone to try and tell someone else how to mod their truck. It's pretty much the point of modding to customize it to the way you want it. Pretty rude to trash someone else's rig because it doesn't fit your personal taste. :/

If everybody on this forum would just put their big boy pants on and suck it up, it wouldn't matter. The OP asked for opinions about his rig and the modifications that might happen on it. People provided that. If you think someones rig is ugly, and they ask, you get to tell them. Same deal if you think it's sweet. Rude has nothing to do with it. /rant

I like the rig. Looks good. Nice and clean. Keep posting up pics of your mods and stuff!

If everybody on this forum would just put their big boy pants on and suck it up, it wouldn't matter. The OP asked for opinions about his rig and the modifications that might happen on it. People provided that. If you think someones rig is ugly, and they ask, you get to tell them. Same deal if you think it's sweet. Rude has nothing to do with it. /rant

I like the rig. Looks good. Nice and clean. Keep posting up pics of your mods and stuff!

There's a difference between voicing your opinion and telling someone that what they want to do will look stupid.

There's a difference between voicing your opinion and telling someone that what they want to do will look stupid.

Not if your opinion is "what you want to do looks stupid" That's what an opinion is.

o·pin·ion   [uh-pin-yuhn]
–noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

To use it in a sentence, "In my opinion, RockcrawlerEx should not be so concerned and just take the good with the bad. After all, he's using a public forum, not a guest on doctor Phil."

Alrighty then, back to the OP... enough of the threadjack. Start a new thread about this if you want, and I will gladly tell you you're wrong, lets just not do it here.

Thank you for all the support ppl. I am currently working on LED lighting. I have ordered bulbs for most of the lights just can't find one for the Cargo light so I'm making one out of 2 of those 9 LED flashlights. First attempt killed all the bulbs cause I either over powered them or something shorted out (think it was this). But does any one know what resistor I would need to take 12V down to 9V to be safe.

And as to ppl's opinions of my truck Say what you want I like Her. So lets drop all of this crap the past is in the past.

Well I've been doing a little work on her I received my SMD LED's a few days ago and yesterday I put them in the gauge cluster. It's a lot brighter and made the gauges a blue color which matches most of my other lights. I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the speedo cable from the cluster so I just disconnected it from the T-case and feed the slack through tell I could get to the bulbs.

SnowballJuly17103.jpg

I also got some headlight bulbs in the mail they are very white but put out horrible light. I will keep them as spares and run them when cruising during the rod runs around here.

SnowballJuly171013.jpg

SnowballJuly17107.jpg

I am also in the process of converting the interior to LED's also. So far I have turned 2 9 LED flashlights into a hatch light.

Started with 2 of these.
SnowballJuly171018.jpg

Soldered on 33-Ohm Resistors and + and - wires. Then insulated everything with hot glue.
SnowballJuly171019.jpg

Then I ground down 10 of the tips and hooked up to 9V battery to test.
And this is what I have.
SnowballJuly171017.jpg

Just need to get some clear fingernail polish to refinish the tips and then wire them in. I'll post pics once there done.

EDIT: THIS DID NOT WORK DO NOT FOLLOW I WILL FIND A BETTER WAY AND POST IT.

OK guys I was planning to head out to Pull-A-Part tomorrow but today while I was on the way to the store to pick up some tools I needed and, I think, the fuel pump died. I was driving down the road when all of the sudden she died. Tried starting and she fired up but was way under power lasted long enough to get into a parking lot. I tried all I could think of but she still wouldn't start so I called a tow truck. (Thank God for AAA) All the relays clicked but I don't know if the pump clicked on cause I was on the side of a very busy road and by my self. Will find out tomorrow when the shop takes a look at it.

But on a plus side I found out I got the dorm I wanted at Tech.

Well guys I got the ole' girl back but am now broke till payday. It was the Fuel Pump. The trip to pull-a-part will have to wait a couple of weeks cause of a trip to Myrtle Beach.

But I did get the LED hatch light finished up and installed tonight so much brighter. Now to just do the other lights.

The fuel pumps on the Explorer/Ranger series are very susceptable to being run low in fuel tank volume. I've often found that I burn up a pump fairly quickly if I run lower than 1/4 tank of fuel. You may want to think back to see if that was the case for you and then revise your driving habits.

Good work on the LED lights, but you can purchase LEDs ready to go for vehicles without all the hassles of building your own.

Here is one company that I know of:
http://autolumination.com/

For headlight bulbs, I've rarely had much success with the "hyper-white" or "blue bulb" varieties. The light they put out, though very "hot" as measured by a ligt meter is not adequate in candle power for vehicle lighting. Best I've found without going to HID (which have their own problems for vehicles due to the long warm up times) are Sylvania Ultra-Silvarstars. They are great lights, but pricey.

The fuel pumps on the Explorer/Ranger series are very susceptable to being run low in fuel tank volume. I've often found that I burn up a pump fairly quickly if I run lower than 1/4 tank of fuel. You may want to think back to see if that was the case for you and then revise your driving habits.
When the pump died I had about 1 gallon left. The gauge in the cab dosen't work so I track it using the odometer. I normally run it till it's about empty then fill it up. Only had it a couple months so not sure how the Orig. Owner ran it.

Good work on the LED lights, but you can purchase LEDs ready to go for vehicles without all the hassles of building your own.

Here is one company that I know of:
http://autolumination.com/

Thanks I looked into buying some but for the hatch I couldn't find one and making one cost a little less than buying one. Plus it was a fun DIY Project.:)

For headlight bulbs, I've rarely had much success with the "hyper-white" or "blue bulb" varieties. The light they put out, though very "hot" as measured by a ligt meter is not adequate in candle power for vehicle lighting. Best I've found without going to HID (which have their own problems for vehicles due to the long warm up times) are Sylvania Ultra-Silvarstars. They are great lights, but pricey.

I plan on getting a set of those once I have some spare cash.

Well today I took a look at my door sticker and found that I have an open diff with 3.27 gears. And when I was changing my gauge bulbs I found that I had a white 17 tooth speedo gear. Kinda just for my own memory.

Oh and I think that since I went to 31s I'll need a 16 tooth one. I'll look at the GY when I go once I get back from Myrtle Beach.

Well I'm back from Myrtle Beach had a great time on the youth trip. (We baptized 6 people on the last morning.) But on to the truck. My parents had it waiting for me at church and wouldn't you know it about half way home I found the gas pedal was sticking a touch. I picked up some Carb spray and cleaned the spring thing(not sure of tech name?) and it seams to be fine now.

I plan on sleeping all day from lack of sleep last week but I am planning on heading to Pull-A-Part on Tues. to pick up some parts for the sploder and mom's mini-van.

Well I'm back from Myrtle Beach had a great time on the youth trip. (We baptized 6 people on the last morning.) But on to the truck. My parents had it waiting for me at church and wouldn't you know it about half way home I found the gas pedal was sticking a touch. I picked up some Carb spray and cleaned the spring thing(not sure of tech name?) and it seams to be fine now.

I plan on sleeping all day from lack of sleep last week but I am planning on heading to Pull-A-Part on Tues. to pick up some parts for the sploder and mom's mini-van.

Sounds like you had an awesome mission trip. Look me up on UCORA.com. Probably right up your alley. We're all about mission and trucks. :D

Keeo the throttle linkage and cable clean, but don't oil it. Oil picks up dust and only makes it stikier eventually. Silicone may be good, however, as nothing at all sticks to it. Another product that works great is the PB Blaster "The Dry Lube" spray. It leaves a non-greasy white residue that sticks to everything, but nothing sticks to it. http://www.blastercorporation.com/The_Dry_Lube.html

Well just my luck today I was heading home and she stalled out on me and wouldn't restart. I think it might be the fuel pump but the tow truck driver said it sounded to him like the crank sensor?? The mechanic is closed till Monday so I'm back to driving the ranger. Hopefully it's a cheap and easy fix cause the trip to Myrtle has me lacking of cash at the moment.

Back