Snowball 94 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snowball 94 Limited

Hey I'm a long time reader and Just bought my first X Wednesday I love it.
SnowballJune3103.jpg

She's a 1994 Limited.Named her Snowball (Sry If someone already had this name) I paid $1500 for her. She got a new Thermostat 2hrs after I bought her cause it locked up on me and over heated in the middle of the road. Her primary duty is going to be as a daily driver/Photography vehicle. I am an avid amateur photographer.

The day after I got her I took her out on her first photo Journey.
Here's some pics.

SnowballJune31018.jpg

She is replacing the 1989 Ranger my parents let me drive till I found my own and just like the Ranger I couldn't keep her on the pavement for long.

SnowballJune31015.jpg

I also found a mound of gravel and flexed the suspension a bit.
SnowballJune3107.jpg

SnowballJune3109.jpg

Her primary purpose will be to get me to college and back and do a little off-roading. She does have some problem but what 16yr old vehicle doesn't. I will eventually get some kind of lift but first is New/Used tires and a MAF.

Leave your opinions did I make a good purchase? What Kind of lift should I get it need to be cheap cause most of my money will be going to School.​

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bet that interior is nice :p: how many miles are on it?

there are a few different options for lifting on a budget. you could go with a body lift, 2" springs/shackles, go crazy with a sawzall on your fenders, or a combination of all those. read around and i'm sure you'll figure something out.

lifting it, offroad lights, rims, sound system, paint job, gun turret, oil sprayer, smoke screen, change the interior, spike strip , new exhaust, k&N airfilter, electronic cooling fan, i dunno some of the thing i been thinking of for mine

Don't lift that it'll just look stupid.

That's a nice limited edition. Lift a junk xl or xlt version. Heck you can have my explorer if you want to lift one and I'll take that nice off off your hands.

I bet that interior is nice :p: how many miles are on it?

there are a few different options for lifting on a budget. you could go with a body lift, 2" springs/shackles, go crazy with a sawzall on your fenders, or a combination of all those. read around and i'm sure you'll figure something out.

The interior is awesome she has about 150,000. I am kinda leaning towards a body lift. Cause it will mostly be for show cause I will have little time to wheel while in college.

I did a 3" Body lift on my 94 XLT and liked the results. i put 31'x10.50 with american racing Black rims

Mine was also for going to college but since im 3 years removed from college the car is no longer in my possession
238972880xPhbXJ_fs.jpg

Did my first mod to her this week. I installed a Cobra 29 ltd Chrome that I got given to me and an 102in. whip antenna with a taillight mount. I instaled mine with a saw tooth mount. I also put a triple cigarette lighter under it to power my phone Ipod and the cooler for trips to college.

IMG00174-20100620-1747.jpg

IMG00181-20100620-1749.jpg

I made a taillight bracket for my Antenna and painted it white to somewhat match the paint.

DSC_5936.jpg

And my favorite part.

IMG00186-20100620-1751.jpg

So what do ya'll think?

I did a 3" Body lift on my 94 XLT and liked the results. i put 31'x10.50 with american racing Black rims

Mine was also for going to college but since im 3 years removed from college the car is no longer in my possession
238972880xPhbXJ_fs.jpg

What can i say to help lean you AWAY from a body lift? IMO since it's going to be a daily driver, leave it stock height - you'll get the best milage that way, least body roll on turns, among other things.. and body lifts look horrible (at least in my opinion)

if you want it to look more off-roady, put some 31's on it and remove the running boards.

i think i'd just leave it stock, exactly as is if it were mine. it looks to be in really good shape anyhow. spend money on a nice stereo, stuff like that.

here's how my stock height '93 looks with 31's, by the way. (just ignore that sagging rear end)
click
th_PICT0071.jpg

th_PICT0073.jpg

Kinda sucks watching it get wrecked. So many first gens don't have their composure anymore and it sucks that this one is loosing it too.

You guys are ridiculous..

The kid wants to mod his truck, he know what he likes, let him have fun with it.

I say go for it, if it is the look you want just use your head and do things right. One thing though you may want to check into MAF mods on this forum many people say they would not have wasted the money. The stock OHV is a great engine with easily 200k in stock form when they are maintained properly.

Nice Explorer! Nice Radio!, and Nice pictures!

You've come to the right place for mods and advice. It's your truck you make it how you want it!!

Find a set of 31's and some nice rims (or some black wagon wheels) and rock and roll. Body Lifts and 31's look kinda lame on the Ex... that and you don't need one for 31's.

Nice looking ride. :thumbsup:

...Amen!....to the "The kid wants to mod his truck, he know what he likes, let him have fun with it." comment.

I guess I agree , keeping it in decent condition requires far to much work. Way way to difficult. It's much easier to bolt a couple walmart fog lamps on the roof and call it "modded". Hey why not cut the roof off and make it a convertible while we're at it? It's not like it'll look stupid or anything it'll be "modded"

After much thought and looking at the cost of stuff I think I will be leaving it stock height and just getting some 31's. I will probably add some more lights and make a $10 light bar with a few "cheapie" lights for a while. Hopefully by next week I will have my new head unit if things work out right (I made $100 bucks by selling the Ranger for my parents thats what's paying for it). Along with that will hopefully be some newer tires and some lift shocks so I can actually open the Hatch lol.

I guess I agree , keeping it in decent condition requires far to much work. Way way to difficult. It's much easier to bolt a couple walmart fog lamps on the roof and call it "modded". Hey why not cut the roof off and make it a convertible while we're at it? It's not like it'll look stupid or anything it'll be "modded"

....in the words of the late Notorious B.I.G. "playa hataa"...I happen to think the Vitamin D Wagon and others like it are awesome. Let's face it, all of us Gen 1 guys secretly wish we had a Gen 1 Bronco ;). Check this thing out!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254086&highlight=Froader

i personally think 1st gen broncos are ugly. 2nd gens are much better looking imo. buuuuuuuuuuut

glad to see this thing is getting up in the air!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd probably go 30's as you'll change your gear ratio less and not rub on the fender wells like you will with the 31's. Make sure there aren't any check engine lights, if so fix them. I'd change out all the fluids, tranny, transfer, diffs. If the plugs are old I'd do plugs and wires. New air filter. New oil and filter(not a Fram!). Fix anything not working correctly.
Check air presure on the tires. Get a lifetime alignment from Firestone if available in your area and get it aligned. Pull the front auto hubs. Clean and then soak in ATF. Wipe up and re-install. Check brake pad and shoes. Get it running really good and get it caught up on maintenance then go from there.

Back