• Register Today It's free!

Snowball's got a good lean...

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
And I'd like to fix it.

Question is, when I first got her, the rear obviously had the lean, but the front was relatively level, but certainly not this off-kilter. Now, 9 months later, I think the back is a little worse, and the front leans pretty good too. I'm wondering- can the torsion go out of whack? Other reason I ask is because I've developed a droning noise from 30-35mph that I thought was a bad wheel bearing- sounded just like it. I replaced one (LF) and it sounds exactly the same- and doesn't matter which way you turn to load a bearing, the noise is still there.

Here are the specs- to the bottom of the wheel well.

LF- 31-1/2"
RF- 32-1/2"
LR- 31-3/4"
RR- 32-1/2"

Is it feasible that if I lower the right front that the front lean will go away, the noise will dissipate, and the left rear may level a little? What about raising the left front? I don't expect the rear lean to be gone, but the front lean bugs me- it wasn't there before. I've never messed with the torsion before, so it's new to me.

No, it isn't snowing in June, but these are the best pics I had of the gangsta lean.

Front:

Feb27_0004.jpg

Rear:

Mar06_0001.jpg

Me coming out of the carwash this winter: Sorry, I'm feeling loopy tonight...

Mar08_0018.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the club. Try taking off your sway bars and seeing how bad it is! :p:

I think every Explorer does this. I tried swapping leaf springs and everything. Nothing fixes it. Aside from relocating the fuel tank. Or getting heavier passengers.

Same problem here, one of the annoyances of owning an explorer i guess.

hmm, i guess im lucky my ex doesnt do this. i check it every time i get on level ground. im paranoid of this happening so as im constantly looking to see if theres anything wrong with her leaning.

I'm wondering if the torsion can 'slip' on the front- I know the rears lean. I want to fix the front- and wonder if the torsion system gets "out of whack" somehow... Not familiar with the front torsion system, never dealt with it. I guess it's more of that than a rear lean thing, I don't want to get flamed for a "hey my explorer leans" post.

i dunno if the torsion bars can bend over time but considering they are made in different grades and strengths im sure it can. maybe thats your problem? i dunno.

but if its the front, wouldnt cranking on them bolts a few turns correct this? kinda like when you do a torsion twist, its to raise or help level the tuck off

That's what I'm wondering Trebor- if I crank the one side down, would it lower the RF and possibly pull the LR up, and maybe fix my howling- maybe the howling is my tires due to an uneven load from the Torsion bard being out of whack?

I don't think the howling is connected to your lean.

Dropping the RF a fraction of an inch will indeed help level out your opposite LR. I did that way back in '99 when I noticed my new '99 Explorer had the LR sag and it fixed it.

Before you mess with tt, consider the shocks, my rear left one was down 1.5 inches- I got a low mileage pair of arc shocks and changed the rear pair............fantastic, all level and the ride has never ever been better!
I have also replaced my front and rear sway bar bushes with poly from energy suspension- NIce!

I'd raise the front left by cranking the torsion bar a bit (maybe lower the right side a smidge), swap the rear springs from side to side, maybe AAL, pick up a big chick, and see what happens. Good luck!

Hmmm... Big chick... :)

Shocks are beand new Monroe SensaTracs. I don't know how static ride height can change with shocks though, they don't support anything, right?

Josh- truck hasn't been to an alignment shop since I've had it, and the lean started after I got it.

I'm thinking about doing a tire rotation, torsion adjustment and alignment and seeing what it does. Guess I'll have to play around a bit.

I'm also going to change the transfer case fluids, and rear end fluid and see if anything changes with my howl.

But I did wash and wax last night, so at least she looks good! Ha ha!

Yes, as others have said, nothing fixes this. I've had my '97 for four years or so and it's always done it. I've actually gotten rejected on an inspection because of this and me saying "every 95-01 Explorer does this" didn't help my cause. I went on to explain the weight/strain of the gas tank and other weight that one side didn't have which caused the leaning. No good. I went back with uneven torsion bolts and a scowl on my face to pass. I can't believe I was failed for something that assinine.

Just bought new leafs( $99.95/each ) from lmctruck.com and the lean is gone. Don't know how long it will last but it looks so much better not seeing the lean.

Seeing as how the springs and torsion bars are 13 years old now, there is a good chance they have started to sag. You can remedy this short term by adjusting the torsion bars, but you will probably end up having to adjust them every so often. It probably wouldn't hurt, if you have the funds, and are planning to keep the truck for a good long while, to replace the front torsion bars, and rear springs. You may also want to look to see what spring codes you have, and see if you can get stiffer torsion bars for the front. The howling you have could be an alignment problem. I would take it to a shop and have them check the alignment, most shops do this for free and only charge to do an alignment. It doesn't take much to throw the alignment off, a good bump can do it. But as I said, if you really want the lean to be gone, source out other sets of torsion bars, either new, or low mileage junkyard parts. I'm pretty sure the Rangers use the same torsion bars, so you might be able to source them out of a 98-08 Ranger (not positive on this). And for the rear springs, upgrade or use an Add-A-Leaf.

Dan

Seeing as how the springs and torsion bars are 13 years old now, there is a good chance they have started to sag. You can remedy this short term by adjusting the torsion bars, but you will probably end up having to adjust them every so often. It probably wouldn't hurt, if you have the funds, and are planning to keep the truck for a good long while, to replace the front torsion bars, and rear springs. You may also want to look to see what spring codes you have, and see if you can get stiffer torsion bars for the front. The howling you have could be an alignment problem. I would take it to a shop and have them check the alignment, most shops do this for free and only charge to do an alignment. It doesn't take much to throw the alignment off, a good bump can do it. But as I said, if you really want the lean to be gone, source out other sets of torsion bars, either new, or low mileage junkyard parts. I'm pretty sure the Rangers use the same torsion bars, so you might be able to source them out of a 98-08 Ranger (not positive on this). And for the rear springs, upgrade or use an Add-A-Leaf.

Dan

Using an Add A Leaf did little to help my lean. For the price of a new leaf it is better to go that route especially if you can do the work yourself.

I didn't know that the torsion bars could go bad- thanks for the tip. I guess at close to 200k and 13 yers, stuff is going to start wearing out. :) Yeah, I think I'll keep her...

Thanks for the tips on checking the front sag. I wasn't worried about the rear, I know that's a no-win unless you go new, but the front bugged me. Now I have some direction...

Thanx...

You've never been to an alignment place? How long have you had the truck? Or do you just do your own?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course I've been to an alignment place :) - just not with the Ex. She tracks rail straight, and my tires have no indication of mis-wear from camber or toe issues. No scalloping, etc... Join date here is when I bought the Ex- October 2007, tires were replaced 2 weeks after I bought her, so issues would be very evident by now.

Back