So i bought a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So i bought a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0AWD

djgor

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mountaineer 5.0 AWD
Hey all,

Well this is my first post so I would like to give you a little background info.
I decided to pick up a mountaineer because I can't drive my other car in the winter or much at all due to its modifications (01 Honda Prelude). My father always let's me use his 01 mountaineer 5.0 AWD Monterey in the winter and its a great truck that he keeps immaculate condition, I mean like showroom condition. So I decided to hunt one down for myself so i could use it as a daily driver. I searched Craigslist and found a black 2001 for 1200 with 152k and I decided to jump on it. Now I knew for that cheap something was messed up with it. Here was the problems

AC is busted
Both front fenders have big dents
Hood dented in front
All the door handles had to be replaced ( pain in as*!!)
Exhaust leak ( explorer flowmaster cat back on way)
Sway bar links both busted
Locks work... Sort of. Actuator is off on pass door Idk why.
Shifter loose as hell ( i fixed it)
Seat moves only about 2 inches forward or backward
Fog lights missing
Lights on radio are busted

Besides that the motor is strong at 150k and I put a custom CAI on and new monomax shocks on it since the sway bar links needed to be replaced anyway.

So I am getting there but my locks is the big problem I have right now and I need help with, I will post a video soon of the problem.

Here are pics of the truck.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/imag0154kd.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/imag0638.jpg/

imag0638.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for your seat, look at the female seat belt part on the seat track. i have had a few that bind up while its moving, and stop the seat. there is a black cover that the seat belt rides on that digs into the track.

for your seat, look at the female seat belt part on the seat track. i have had a few that bind up while its moving, and stop the seat. there is a black cover that the seat belt rides on that digs into the track.

Thanks ! I'm gonna look in the morning. It's so annoying. you get what you pay for.

nice find!

Update

I am still working on a few problems like the alarm problem.. More i read here the more i get confused with this RAP system.
I replaced ALL the door handles.
Sway bar links replaced
I replaced the shocks with monomax shocks
I replaced the Exhaust system with a flowmaster cat back system for 01 explorer (LOVE IT!) gREAT SOUND! 2K RPM GROWL IS NICE!
Put a zip tie behind the gas pedal to remove the slack :)
installed some universal yellow fog lights from ebay ( Stock were missing) Wiring spliced from oem.

I had a bug deflector sitting around from a GMC that fit on the mountaineer so that covered the hood dents :)
IMG https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvthqm5zy1apu12/IMAG0354.jpg IMG

Would like to say I have been driving the truck for a few months now and it really has balls. glad i picked it up its actually fun to drive and steers well for a SUV. They tore up my road to dirt for a repaving and i love the AWD and the 5.0 in the mud and dirt very fun. Best 1200 i ever spent. I want to replace my busted radio (lights out cd player motor busted) but i have to fix my passenger door lock first or it will be stolen.
IMG https://www.dropbox.com/s/hn417mh1sf0q229/IMAG0154.jpg IMG

I had to cut the rear plastic a bit in order to get the exhaust tip to come out the side correctly. cant even tell it did it. i wil get a better pic if interested the tree is blocking it in this picture.. im going to remove the secondary cats soon also

Another note:
I was getting water running down my interior dome light and i found that there are holes in the sunroof like on my Honda that must be blown out and checked for debris. And damn these 2001 MACH RADIOS ARE EXPENSIVE EVEN USED!

Back