So I built a 1st gen winch bumper.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So I built a 1st gen winch bumper....

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Decided it was time for a winch bumper for the X. Now I've just gotta get the weather to play nice so I can paint it before I mount it on the X. All of the pieces are made out of 1/4" plate.

I'll post more pix up after I paint it and get it mounted. It's designed to hold a Superwinch 12k winch.

P6260002.JPG

P6260003.JPG

P6260004.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are we soon going to see "Draper OffRoad LLC"? :D

Eh, it kinda quasi-exists as Draper Engineering.....

JDraper said:
Eh, it kinda quasi-exists as Draper Engineering.....
Oh I like that name even better :D

FROADER said:
He just needs to find a way to have shipping to be cheap. :D

FedEx Freight :D

FROADER said:
He just needs to find a way to have shipping to be cheap. :D

Gotta hire me a bunch a carrier pigeons..... :D

A mass produced off road/winch bumper for Explorers would be a hot-item :D

IZwack said:
So are we soon going to see "Draper OffRoad LLC"? :D

So far my offroad fabrication resume (for both X's and Zuk's) includes rock sliders, front bumpers, rear bumpers, full length skid plates, locker installs, lift installs, SOA's, re-gears and tons of repair work....

IZwack said:
A mass produced off road/winch bumper for Explorers would be a hot-item :D

The pix you saw up top could be pretty easily produced...worst part is the grinding...

I don't have a price yet...my steel source, an Amish (yes Amish) machine shop hasn't billed me for it yet, but I can probably turn 'em out for under $400 each...plus shipping or customer pickup.

Painted the sucker and got it installed...

P6290005.JPG

P6290004.JPG

P6290001.JPG

P6290003.JPG

P6290002.JPG

P6290008.JPG

FROADER said:
Very nice man! Are you going to put D-rings or integrate a hitch into it at all?

Thanks. I'm putting D-rings through the holes where the winch hawser is clipped right now.

I still don't have a price on it...the guy hasn't billed me for the steel yet. So for now it cost me the price of paint, grinding discs and welding rods. :D

Brian1 said:
How far out does the front of the bumper stick out from the grill (not including the fairlead)? Looks good!

It's 8" from the grill to where the fairlead mounts. The two tabs on either side of the fairlead stick out 10" from the grill.

Some of my design criteria were that the whole bumper and winch had to be compact, not block airflow, and not stick out too far. I weighed it before I put it on the truck, and it weighs an even 75 lbs.

I don't suppose you could share the dimensions so I could have a friend make one...shipping things to Hawaii gets kind of expensive...

JDraper said:
So far my offroad fabrication resume (for both X's and Zuk's) includes rock sliders, front bumpers, rear bumpers, full length skid plates, locker installs, lift installs, SOA's, re-gears and tons of repair work....

Yeah, y'all should see him hanging upside down from a 1st gen like a monkey, trying to replace radius arm bushings or stuff coils in :D

Nice departure angle on that puppy, Jeff! :thumbsup: Gonna come out and play with us at Pap in August??

wanna build one for a gen 2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeeehaw86 said:
wanna build one for a gen 2?

I'm thinkin' 'bout it :D. Gotta see what my total costs are first. Still haven't gotten the bill from my Amish machine shop for the steel...I'm gonna try and pester them tomorrow.

Back