• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

So I cannot find my A/C leak...

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So after putting some more refrigerant, and dye in my truck this year to try and find the leak, I cannot find it anywhere, checked the condenser, the Evaporator drain, and all the hoses, and nothing is leaking anywhere. so am I missing something, or what are common leaks for our trucks? Also to clarify I have been running the A/C almost every day for a month, and it no longer works, so I have given it time to work the dye out of the system.

my truck is a 1996 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rego

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt,2000xlt both ohv 6
I believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.
At least that's what happened to mine.

Bobmbx

Reaction score
City, State
King George, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Darn Freon thieves. Is nothing sacred?

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
i believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.

+1

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I believe the pre '99 accumulators are wrapped with insulation. The insulation acted as a sponge holding condensation and causing rust and leaks.

Would it be possible for me not to see the dye if it was leaking there? I mean it leaks out pretty fast, so I assume I would see it.

rego

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt,2000xlt both ohv 6
Very possible. If i remember right the insulation is glued on. I think I couldn't take it off to look for leak. New accumulator is $20-$25?

SoHK_alumni

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
Could also be the evaporator coil itself.

Since you've added dye, are you using a UV light w/goggles to look for traces of the dye?

If needed the evap coil is easier to replace than 1st appearances. It's very easy to remove the engine bay half of the air box.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Could also be the evaporator coil itself.

Since you've added dye, are you using a UV light w/goggles to look for traces of the dye?

If needed the evap coil is easier to replace than 1st appearances. It's very easy to remove the engine bay half of the air box.

Yes I am using the goggles and UV light to look, I even turned off all the lights in the shop to see if it would stand out, I found nothing at all, I didn't look directly at the Evaporator, but up into the drain for the evaporator, I found no trace of dye, since it was coming out so fast, in a little over a month, if it was leaking from there I would for sure see it.

SoHK_alumni

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
Then I'd almost put money on the evap coil.

But, have you checked the backside/inside of the a/c clutch? Buried up inside the clutch coil, bearing and plate, a lot of dye can hide.