• Register Today It's free!

So I did a Torsion Twist

thatoneguy

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4.0L OHV
Yesterday evening on my ex, I've read up all all the forums about how to go about doing one and I followed all the steps. Needless to say I turned the bolts at least 6 to 7 times, and got no amount of lift to my front end. Could my torsion bars be shot? Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Just frustrated because I was hoping to even out the ex since I have warrior shackles in the back, also wanted enough space up front to fit new tires. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep a crankin- Turn them a few times, roll your vehicle back and forth a few times, I backed up, hit the brakes, pulled forward, hit the brakes to "bounce" the front end. Back it up and pull it forward without the bouncing and re-measure. I bet it will come up.

the way i did mine was to run the bolts in all the way bounce the tuck a little then slowly backed them back out till the truck was level then drove it around for a day then had the alignment done on it

did you have the truck jacked up or on the ground? and what rating bars do you have? did you drive it afterwards? i would just crank on them till ya run out of bolt or get 2" after driving a little oh yeah and get that alignment

I did have it lifted with a jack when I cranked the torsion bars, when i set it down i let it bounce, i got about a half inch of lift, drove it around for 10 minutes, pulled it back in the garage and it went back down to its original height. So I cranked the torsion bars again and got it back up to where I wanted it. Drove it to work today, measured it at work and it went back down. I'm not sure what rating they are, how do I tell, is it on the door?

yes. the door jam will tell you the rating....

In that case, D.

Did you max your bolts out??

Nope, not yet and scratch that last post, the TB's are not D but H - looked at the wrong code.

Finally got everything figured out, MountaineerGreen, explornj, like you guys said, just kept cranking the bolts, jumped up and down on the ex a few times, drove it around and BAM! all is done. just need to get the alignment done now.

Once again thanks guys! :cool:

glad to hear it worked out for you and glad to see another 99 sport, i am moving out to the Scottsdale area in june so u will see my x out there

Hah I work in Scottsdale it'll be nice to see someone else taking pride in their ex up in this area, hit me up when you're in town I know a few great spots for off-roading and just goofing off. Right next to two lakes so.

Back