• Register Today It's free!

So long 2013, hello 2015.

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Given everything I've already done to my '13, I had no intention of getting rid of it. I mean, in just spent $750 upgrading to the heavy duty Powerstop brakes from the standard duty OEM last week!

For some reason, I felt compelled to check the websites of the four Ford dealers in the area yesterday. I found a 2015 XLT, 202B, sunroof, and tow package, still in the 3/36, for $25,900.

So, I bought it! Pics when I get home. It's back in detail at the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I had to l time to get before it got dark.

It's a one owner, all service done at the selling dealer, which is where I bought it, no accidents, and about as good as it can get.

Now for some hood lettering, window tint, a black grill, and black wheels.

IMG_20180428_180350_939.jpg

IMG_20180428_175805.jpg

The dealer was great. They put me off to the side under a tent so I.could transfer all my LEDs, and I swapped my battery since it's only a few months old.

Wondering if I got a good deal on my 15. I bought in 16 though with 10k miles. It’s the appearance package with sunroof, suede seats and 20in rims. Paid 31k then.

Did not buy from a ford dealer, it was a trade in at a caddy dealer.

I think it looks great just the way it is Jon. Those wheels really sets it off.

Peter

I think it looks great just the way it is Jon. Those wheels really sets it off.

Peter

It does. I've never liked the silver though, so the grill and the roof rack rails will be blacked out. I'll do the grill like I did on the white one, silver to black, leaving the chrome.

There are some differences that I'm going to have to get used to. The IPC is different, for example. I don't know if it's the difference in year, or the differences in 202a vs 202b. Climate is missing from the right side menu, the left side menu is different, as is the navigation of the menu.

So far, it seems to be faster off the line, which might just be the difference in mileage, and the ride seems smoother, which, again, is probably the difference in mileage.

Having just upgraded the '13 to the larger brakes, I feel like the OEM on the '15 actually stop a little better than the brand new Powerstop brakes I put on the '13.

There are some differences that I'm going to have to get used to. The IPC is different, for example. I don't know if it's the difference in year, or the differences in 202a vs 202b. Climate is missing from the right side menu, the left side menu is different, as is the navigation of the menu.
Blame it on 'Climate Change'. :D The Climate setting was deleted beginning with the 2014 models. Dual 4.2 inch cluster screens - Climate missing

Peter

Jon,

You and I have clones... though hard to tell from the images, your leather appears to be black (?) and mine has the tan. Been kicking around the same cosmetic changes although I've been leaning more towards color matching the grill, still leaving the two chrome bars. Buddy of mine told me gun metal plasti-dip is almost spot on for the magnetic gray so thought about trying that route first and if it doesn't give me the correct match, peel it off and paint them. Oh... and I'd like to do my mirror caps as the gloss black bugs me.

Jon,

You and I have clones... though hard to tell from the images, your leather appears to be black (?) and mine has the tan. Been kicking around the same cosmetic changes although I've been leaning more towards color matching the grill, still leaving the two chrome bars. Buddy of mine told me gun metal plasti-dip is almost spot on for the magnetic gray so thought about trying that route first and if it doesn't give me the correct match, peel it off and paint them. Oh... and I'd like to do my mirror caps as the gloss black bugs me.

Yeah, I have the black interior. If it had the tan, I probably wouldn't have gone to see it, much less bought it. With my dogs, the tan leather gets really dirty, and shows every bit. Only black or gray for me from now on.

I have a similar but reverse issue. I have two yellow labs and their whitish hair gets everywhere. The Mrs. has black carpet and black leather in her car and hates taking the dogs in it because of the white hair.

After a couple of days with it, I've noticed a number of differences between the '13 and the '15, and some of them are disappointing, while others are just odd.

On the disappointing list, the IPC menus are far more difficult to navigate. I can't remember specifically, but I know there are a couple of things missing from the left hand menu. It's also not as easy to get to different options. On the '13, hitting the down button moved you to the Trip screens, etc, while right/left moved you through the options of each screen. Now it's down to move through the options, and left, then down, to move through the screens.

On the right, the navigation screen is useless. The '13 allowed setting destinations to home or favorites. The '15, all I can do is cancel route.

There's also a headlight on indicator on the '15, that wasn't on the '13.

The sticker lists "premium audio with 9 speakers". All I can tell is that it's a lot quieter than the old one; I have to turn the volume up a lot higher to hear it.

In the odd category...the driver's footwell floor is different. The left foot rest is smaller, and lower. So, when you see floor mats that say '11-14, and '15-'18, that's why. Apparently they changed the floor a year ahead of the rest of the changes to the '16.

I don't know if it's a Sync version difference, because I can't remember how to check the version and haven't had a chance to look it up, but on Nav, instead of Set as Destination, the button just says Set as Dest.

I have to go to the dealer tomorrow anyway, so I'm going to have them check to make sure it's all up to date.

Congrats on the new-to-you vehicle. I too traded up over the weekend to one that looks much as yours although mine is a 2014 & has a lot more miles

I have a similar but reverse issue. I have two yellow labs and their whitish hair gets everywhere. The Mrs. has black carpet and black leather in her car and hates taking the dogs in it because of the white hair.

That is me - I passed on looking at several seemingly good deals because of the white interior. I don't have dogs, but do use the truck to do truck-type things so need a color that doesn't show the dirt so much.

Back