• Register Today It's free!

so my first question problem

drakon543

Reaction score
City, State
Tannersville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 mountaineer luxury
starting to get more mobile after my knee surgery so its about time i actually start tinkering with my mountaineer. so it runs very well 90% of the time but has recently started to develop a slight buck. light load climbing a hill type driving it will buck a little. tow mode o/d button completely remedies the buck keeping the rpms a bit higher so i thinking tune up related. truck appears to have already have had a tune up but i thinking cheap plug wires or sparkplugs. i haven't look at the sparkplugs that were used but are bosch plugs still and issue with ford engines? any other suggestions on things to look at are welcome. really hoping its something minor as i haven't had it long enough to be ready for a big issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

almost forgot 2007 mountaineer 4.0

Sounds like a engine miss to me, the best way to find out which cylinder is to use a scanner that show detailed data like cylinder contribution or misfire data, even the generic section can pinpoint misfires in mode 6.
A lot of handheld scanners might not be capable of this kind of data, shops that deal with engines and transmission should be capable of figuring out where the issue is.

I’d start with plugs and wires. Motorcraft.

i was thinking taylor wires and ngk plugs. either the ngk platinum or iridium. ive had great luck with ngk plugs so i run them in all my vehicles unless there is a reason i shouldn't. motorcraft oe sparkplug wires aren't a bad price on rockauto so i wouldn't be against those. again tho ive had great luck with taylor wires and never had issues even when running a set of headers. so i might stick with what im familiar and comfortable with unless someones had specific issues with those parts. i stopped using bosch plugs a while ago when i had 2 electrodes break off in a week of use on a dodge i had. due to a sale they had i was dumb and tried them on a 94 f150 which went horribly and ended up putting autolites in instead.

These motors tend to be picky on plugs. The wires are kind of irrelevant as long as they are quality.

starting to get more mobile after my knee surgery so its about time i actually start tinkering with my mountaineer. so it runs very well 90% of the time but has recently started to develop a slight buck. light load climbing a hill type driving it will buck a little. tow mode o/d button completely remedies the buck keeping the rpms a bit higher so i thinking tune up related. truck appears to have already have had a tune up but i thinking cheap plug wires or sparkplugs. i haven't look at the sparkplugs that were used but are bosch plugs still and issue with ford engines? any other suggestions on things to look at are welcome. really hoping its something minor as i haven't had it long enough to be ready for a big issue.

Determine if there are any trouble codes before throwing parts at the problems. It will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.

Determine if there are any trouble codes before throwing parts at the problems. It will save you a lot of time, money and frustration.
have to buy myself a new scanner here eventually i apparently permanently lent my actron scanner out. doesn't matter tho i wanted to buy myself a better scanner anyway those actron pocket scanners are great in a pinch. just almost useless for real diagnostics. my buddy was going to bring down his snapon but we haven't managed to get together yet. plus supposedly pa is trying to limit all unnecessary travel a few people have been pulled over.

For the tool get an obdlink, I have an MX and its the best for Fords as it reads both CAN busses (no switch or mod needed), they now have a new one (MX+) that works on iOS bluetooth and android bluetooth...

so no codes stored or pending suprisingly. i am alot more mobile recently so i went outside and tinkered around a bit. i rerouted the plug wires a bit and went for a drive. runs alot better only bucked twice vs before it would buck enough to actually be concerned. going to order oe motorcraft plugs and wires. while i was messing with the wires i didn't see any brand marking anywhere which leads me to believe they are some cheap junk wires. also the 2 misses i had when i went for a drive were so quick and minor they didnt even register any change on the live data reading.

ok so the spark plug wires were definitely cheap junk. sparkplugs were motorcraft plugs but i have a question about them. the sparkplugs have motorcraft then the p/n asgf24n or something then another letter and number. what is the letter and number mean? im assuming lot number or something? the ones i pulled out had the correct part number and a 9E the ones i received had an A0

There's a great Youtube video about fake Motorcraft spark plugs out on the market. Show how to ID the fake ones from the real.
Go to Youtube and do a search for "Fake Motorcraft spark plugs" and check out the video my Makuloco. There's also several others.

ok so the spark plug wires were definitely cheap junk. sparkplugs were motorcraft plugs but i have a question about them. the sparkplugs have motorcraft then the p/n asgf24n or something then another letter and number. what is the letter and number mean? im assuming lot number or something? the ones i pulled out had the correct part number and a 9E the ones i received had an A0
Probably a manufacture designation so they know who supplied them.

There's a great Youtube video about fake Motorcraft spark plugs out on the market. Show how to ID the fake ones from the real.
Go to Youtube and do a search for "Fake Motorcraft spark plugs" and check out the video my Makuloco. There's also several others.
ya i totally checked a bunch of stuff out on that. sadly i was completely unaware counterfeit parts was a legitimate issue. unless im doing something i consider an upgrade i usually stick with oem parts. ive never had an issue with parts ive used so im not sure if ive ever used counterfeit parts. definitely looked over all the parts i got from rockauto has all the correct marks. plugs i pulled out are correct also was just the plug wires and terrible routing.

ok since ive already started a thread regarding this issue ill continue asking for advice in this thread. so i let me recap under light load i have a bit of a miss occasional buck. if i shut off the overdrive so the rpms stay higher the truck runs flawlessly. I've had the truck scanned once with a regular scanner to check for codes no codes. ive used a cheaper scanner with advanced live data features and data shows perfect operation with no fluctuations aside from a slight dip in the rpms during on of the misses. ive also had the truck hooked up to a snapon diagnostic computer as the mechanic sat in the passenger seat watching it and i couldn't get the truck to exhibit any symptoms during an hr of driving around. ive cleaned the maf with appropriate cleaner i did a tune up with correct motorcraft parts. also just today i replaced the fuel filter. the old fuel filter wasn't too bad it still flowed but slightly less than the new filter but barely noticeable. so i dont think ive found the problem yet. on a side note everytime i do one of these i do one at a time (maf, plugs/wires, fuel filter) each time it does run better for a short time before starting back up into the same problem.

still never got a cel except once about random missfires that never came back. this turned out to just be the ignition coil if anyone was curious.

Back