• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

So the towing step bumper is bad?

Xan

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01, mountaneer
I've been reading a bunch of post and people keep saying oh its so bad but i searched and found no pics of why or threads about a ruined explorer.
I've actualy towed a large trailer with 2 250cc dirt bikes for several 200+ mile trips down gravel bumpy roads and everything and have been towing my boat and jet ski with it for over 2 years now on the factory hitch

So can anyone show me someone that din't over load the bumper and got thier truck messed up because of the stock tow step?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
There were no factory "hitches" only bumpers. You can pull on the bumper I guess, but if you ever saw how one was constructed, you could see how easy it would be to mess it up overloading it.

I don't have any pictures, but I have seen numerous rangers and explorers with V shaped bumpers or bumpers tilted down from too much weight.

When you can buy a hitch for $100, why risk it?

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
There were no factory "hitches" only bumpers. You can pull on the bumper I guess, but if you ever saw how one was constructed, you could see how easy it would be to mess it up overloading it.

I don't have any pictures, but I have seen numerous rangers and explorers with V shaped bumpers or bumpers tilted down from too much weight.

When you can buy a hitch for $100, why risk it?
x2 (BUY A HITCH)

Mkrucejr

Reaction score
City, State
South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport 4x4
I 3rd that.....Hitches are so cheap anymore...and you can tow so much more with it.

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
My rear tires are not touching much at all. All of the rear weight of my truck is being supported by my hitch, not my bumper. If I didn't have a hitch my bumper would have pushed up into my hatch and been ruined.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
As most have stated, get a hitchasaurus.

But having said that, I towed a '73 Ford Maverick from Philly to the DC area on a bumper-mounted 2" ball :D

nolimitssjca

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT, 96 XLT, 97 Mounty
I feel so DUMB! I thought hitches were used for towing! Now I know they protect your bumber from rock formations.... My Bad! Shoot, I can see why you wouldn't want to tow. That rock would tear up anything dumb enough to follow you! :)

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
I've been reading a bunch of post and people keep saying oh its so bad but i searched and found no pics of why or threads about a ruined explorer.
I've actualy towed a large trailer with 2 250cc dirt bikes for several 200+ mile trips down gravel bumpy roads and everything and have been towing my boat and jet ski with it for over 2 years now on the factory hitch

So can anyone show me someone that din't over load the bumper and got thier truck messed up because of the stock tow step?
Its not that Stock bumpers are bad, its just they are only rated for 3500 lbs and people often tend to tow more than the rating. These explorers are easy to spot as their bumpers are bent down or contorted. A few 250cc bikes weigh 500lbs combined, add another 200lbs for supplies and the total is under 1,000lbs. A half ton is cake for any bumper or receiver hitch.
As the others members posted the benefits of a receiver hitch are its construction and versatility. With a 2" Class III receiver hitch you can use standard receiver hitches and get one with the correct drop to match the trailer (to keep it level). It can also be used a recovery point by using a hook or D-shackle. It can also be used as a jacking point (great for a high lift etc.. {I used it on my X last night in the woods}). And as pictured it can save the OEM bumper by shielding it form off-road damage..

Xan

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01, mountaneer
Ok thats kinda what i thought, i'm not doing any serious off roading at the moment, just light trails (no car areas) when i go camping and stuff. i really just wanted the truck to tow this kinda lighter load and be able to haul 5+ people out to the lake along with cooler radio and such. i actualy plan on getting a hitch after school starts and i get my big loan and all, cause we're gonna sell my little boat and buy a large pontune party boat to take out when we go jet skiing to drink beer on :D

gijoecam

Village Idiot
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trenton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ExSport, '00 F-150
As long as you're within the rating for the bumper hitch, it's fine. Those that overload the factory hitch will damage it. It really is that simple.

Hauling a couple of dirt bikes on a small trailer is not a big deal. Hauling a couple of dirt bikes in the back of a 30-foot toy hauler is likely going to rip the bumper from the frame. Hauling this monster from the bumper is un-thinkable:

And yes, it was on a Draw-Tite Class-III receiver mounted to the frame, and yes the specs were all within the tow vehicle's limits (barely).

-Joe

kert0307

Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
there's a mono leaf at it's finest...

Silver X

Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
I towed a few trailers with my step bumper, but got a receiver hitch because the bumper sits way too high. The rear edge of one long trailer was almost hitting the ground over some bumps. Only had about 4 or 5 inches of clearance unloaded on flat ground.

Ranger379

Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
bumper is fine for light stuff. i hauled quite a bit on the bumper ball. since the bumper is usually higher than the trailer coupler, you will find that it will scratch the plastic on the bumper all to hell as it did with mine lol. when u get some extra money just get a hitch, so much better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Motorcycle Towing w/ Step Bumper? Tow Rig Forum 3
C Towing: 2019 V6 (Limited) or 2019 Ecoboost V6 (Sport)? Tow Rig Forum 12
I Towing Mirrors for 2015 Explorer? Tow Rig Forum 0
traveler Towing Jargon Tow Rig Forum 1
2 Anybody towing a long trailer? Tow Rig Forum 1
N 2012 Police AWD 3.7 or a 2003 Sport Trac for towing Tow Rig Forum 11
M 2010 Explorer 4.0 v6 towing capacity? 5205lb? Tow Rig Forum 6
A Towing with a 2004 V8. Am I doing this right? Tow Rig Forum 15
D Towing a vehicle - 2015 with factory class III Hitch Tow Rig Forum 10
J 2018 Explorer Sport - Towing a Travel Trailer Tow Rig Forum 47
R Newbie Question: Towing a Popup Camper Tow Rig Forum 33