• Register Today It's free!

So there I was...

eeeeek

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
...out wheeling with a bunch of buddies around the base of the Rubicon. We entered at Wentworth Springs and went through to Loon Lake, not an easy task. I left my stock '94 Sport behind because I didn't think it would be able to handle this trip (it wouldn't have) and jumped in the passenger side of one fo my buddies Tacomas.

We set out as three Tacomas, one '85 Toyota truck and a stock '01 Jeep. Things got hairy and thanks to some excelent spotters, we got all the way through, event he parts that the Jeepers said there was no way in hell these truck would make it through.

I get home and start looking at my Explorer a little more and start seeing some potential for serious wheeling. I hadn't taken it truly off road in a few years because it was so damn low I'd scrape all over the place. Now, as I've learned a little bit, I notice that it's not a bad setup. Now that it's paid off, it's a toy that can be abused.

To make a long story long, I found this place and got a lot of great ideas. I should have something happening in a month or two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WELCOME, and yes very capable for wheeling

First off - welcome to the site!

Yeah, we have some capable rigs around here. With a little work and some ground clearance, Explorer's can make formidible off-road rigs...

Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

I'm going to try to keep it on a budget, but I'm thinking about starting with a 5.5" Superrunner lift system, Tru Rev air intake (I got burned by the crappy stock intake once) and probably 33's and decent rims. I imagine I'll go with manual locking hubs for the security of it and take it from there. I like the Perry's flairs for looks, but price will dictate that.

Just what I need...another hobby!

I spend most of the good weather riding motorcycles and I think this would be fun for my camping trips and some colder weather weekends.

Thanks for the info; awesome site!

alright a fellow sacramento explorer. yes, lift your truck, i have a 93 with a 5.5superlift and so does my buddy, let me know if you decide to lift it, if you decide to do the lift yourself, me and my buddy put mine on so we could probably help you, if not watch were you get it installed(4wheelparts) they dont do a very thorough job, anyways keep in touch i think we need another lifted one in sac

Welcome to the site :) You know what they say though, be careful, because after the mod bug hits, it is game over and empty wallet :(....But then you would have the sweetest toy:)

I'm not sure I'd want to tackle a suspension work myself; but, I am interested in knowing where the good places to buy parts and such in town are.

As for the bug, I know what it feels like! So far:

1999 Buell X1
3" header
Pro Series Pipe
Race ECM
K&N Filter
Banke shift linkage and brake lever
Odysee Half fairing
Carbon Fiber this and that
Rear Fender eliminator

1999 Suzuki TL1000R
Yoshimira Titanium exhaust
Rear fender eliminator
Integrator rear Turn signal eliminator
LP flush mount front signals
Custom Paint, Demon Blue

1989 Porsche 928S4
BBS 3 piece racing wheels
Pioneer Premier deck and 6 disc changer
Alpine 4 channel amp
Polk separates, front and rear, (8 total)
2 Polk 8" subwoofers
1 Power Sonic Tube
Side windows tinted 50%, Rears tinted 20%

I can't leave anything alone. I've just been using the explorer as transportation and to haul a bike trailer, but I think it's time for it to come to life!

Atleast try the lift yourself! If you don't feel comfortable, have a gearhead come help you. But don't wimp out and have a shop do it. Half the fun is in doing it yourself! Plus you need to know how to fix it if it breaks on the trail.

if you dont want to do the lift yourself thats cool too. if you want to get it the cheapest 4wheelparts will charge you a **** load of money and will qoute you a really high price, so this is what you do, go to the store, but a FOUR WHEELER magazine, turn to the page that ROCKY MOUNTAIN SUSPENSION has there add on, call them see how much the lift would be delievered to your house. then go to 4wheelparts and tell them you found the lift for cheaper and see if they match prices(they will say yes)they will call rocky mountain suspension and you will get the lift cheaper by about $200. it would be nice to have a lifted explorer here, maybe we could go wheelin sometime, let me know, oh the 4wheelparts wholesalers store is on el camino and 80, do you know where that is

Yeah, I know where that is.

The problem I have with doing the suspension myself is after a lift, it will no longer fit in the garage, so I obviously can't work on it there. I've got a detatched garage behind the house will alley access, so no driveway, either.

That, and to be honest, the idea of tackling a suspension scares me. I'll wrench on my bikes without any problem (face it, with a Buell I have to), I just don't feel comfortable with an entire suspension set up.

Tell me more about your setup, tex. With just the 5.5" lift, how is the clearance for the 33's? Ever think about 35's and if so, what else would you have to do to fit them in? Any body armor? Any other suggestions?

And yeah, I'll be up for wheeling when this is all together.

Let me rephrase my last statement. If there isn't someone that can help you with the lift, and there are safety issues onvolved, by all means get it done somewhere else. Not worth injuring yourself over a suspension lift.

Sounds like you've got a very good setup in the works. However...

Originally posted by texplor93
keep in touch i think we need another lifted one in sac

I don't know if I could take a city seriously when it's name is abbreviated to Sac :D :D :D

i fit 33's without any rubbing at all, i will eventually go to 35's in the future, i figure a little hackin at the fenders, maybe some coil spacers, maybe i mean real maybe if i make it into a trail only rig i will get some of perrys fenders. but yeah 35's is in my plans. i have been satisfied with my superlift, it hasnt had any problems yet.let me know when you plan on doing your lift. um i dont really have any suggestions, if you get the lift make sure you get the extended radius arms, they make the ride better and you get more flex with them.

oh i almost forgot, when you order your lift, tell them you want part #133 for your coil springs, they will order #118 instead, the 118's are for rangers, the 133's wont end up sagging like the 118's,um i think thats it.what color is your explorer?

Mine's the Teal Color with Black trim (and the little red stripe). If I go with the fender flairs, I'll paint the whole thing black satin (basically, glorrified term for primer black).

Here's a pic. Pretty much dead stock:

snowrig.jpg

DEAD???!!!

There's nothing dead about a stock!!

:p

Just had to chime in. Welcome to the board.

My "bone" stock has done some exceptionally hairy trails. It's all about good spotters and a subtle disregard for body panels. :rolleyes:

My '94 has all the skid plates Ford makes and has grenaded all of them. But by-golly it finished the trails!

Re: DEAD???!!!

Originally posted by DarkMan
It's all about good spotters and a subtle disregard for body panels. :rolleyes:

A "subtle disregard for body panels". I like that

I actually took it on a pretty rough trail and did very well, partially due to the short wheel base. At the end, I had to pop new clips inot the trim along the bottom. After I finish prepping my race bike, I'll devote some time and effort into the Explorer.

My view on these things has totally changed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back