So what do you like about your Gen 2? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So what do you like about your Gen 2?

I have a few reasons...

1. Driving comfort, I have been in no other vehicle that is more comfortable to drive, EVER!

2. V8, need I say more?

3. Build Quality, Full frame SUV, that I feel VERY safe in.

4. The ease of running wire for a Stereo, It's like Ford knew, it's awesome!

5. The looks, I don't know why, but I love the looks of second Generation Explorers.

6. Pretty much everything really, with the exception of the AWD transfercase, and the front suspension, would prefer Twin I-beam, like my '87 Ranger had, Other then that I LOVE my truck, and could not be happier with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its paid for. Runs like a top at 200k miles. And as far as design goes is timeless. 1997 XLT.

Hi my name is Charles and im an exploraholic, I have four second gens in my driveway and enough parts squirled away to build a few more, im big on no car payments, love how safe they are as i have two little girls and my wife to worry about, im also a die hard ford man, these second gens are the Swiss army knives of the vehicle world, I have never seen a more useful and adaptable platform.

My exploder was cheap and I don't care if it gets wrecked, no will steal it.

My merc is a fun off road truck because my buddy is a ford nut and built it for me way cheaper than I could have got anything else even close.

5.0L V-8
Steering wheel controls
Keypad
Moonroof
Power everything
Pearl White exterior
Prairie Tan leather interior
Rides smooth and comfortable
Sitting up high, commanding the road :D
Feels solid and well built

This is just me, but I am a happy camper with my 1999 Limited 5.0 AWD!

Seth K. Pyle
(Wish I had bought this thing years ago.)

all the above and color - the $30,000 to $150,000 eggs built today all look alike - and offer black, white and a few shades in between

its also great to have a vehicle you know - and a place to come for the stuff you don't know

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, lots of room, comfortable, goes like hell, and when it dies I have a 5.0 for my V6 Mustang

Bill

Because it's a real truck, unlike that nonsense unibody crap they sell nowadays. :D

....plus all my mods. :D

It would have been nice if Ford built a V8 sport so I didn't have to. But then again if Ford would have built it mine wouldn't be any different then anything else anyone else has. And I think they should have built the V8 with a real 4X4 transfer case. But I guess I will have to do that myself too.

It would have been nice if Ford built a V8 sport so I didn't have to. But then again if Ford would have built it mine wouldn't be any different then anything else anyone else has. And I think they should have built the V8 with a real 4X4 transfer case. But I guess I will have to do that myself too.

yeah these transfer cases really do suck the power and gas

Well I do a lot of in town driving and I get 13-15mpg. I do wish it was higher but I don't think it will get much better with the 4.10 gears it has.

Well I do a lot of in town driving and I get 13-15mpg. I do wish it was higher but I don't think it will get much better with the 4.10 gears it has.

If i can get back on my v8 sport I am gonna do the avm hubs with the ranger knuckles and halfshafts ,with the 4406 its perfect for what I do.

It only cost me $500 :p

At 218k miles the engine still sounds top notch, at least to my ears anyway.

its paid for, 5.0, tows what i need it to, parts are easy and fairly inexpensive, its paid for, fairly easy to work on, hauls the kids good with plenty of room for everything they bring along, its paid for...

did i mention its paid for?

1. It's paid for. I'm allergic to care notes :)
2. For 12 straight years it has taken me where I want to go, and back again. When the battery and the fuel pump died it was here at home.
3. When it has broke, I knew what needed to be fixed, and could do it myself. Ford kept most of it pretty simple. Except for that HMSL.
4. Pretty much always ready, no matter when. Even with bad ball joints.
5. Interior/controls are user friendly.
6. Not the quickest or fastest but has given people who own quicker and faster SUV's a ride home from the repair shop.
7. The stereo kicks. Mine has the factory sub set-up out back. Sounds way better the the Shaker 500 in my Bullitt.
8. This is easily the 2nd best vehicle I've owned at the moment, had a Cherokee that made 490K, pretty much trouble free. But it may make #1.
9. This truck just makes me happy

Its paid for, 95 XLT 4wd, leather, sun roof, mint, no rust, kept in a garage, 120K on it with all maintenance complete......$1800

Love the looks and the V8. Love that I can get cargo and people in it but still have it look like a truck, not a fancy lifted station wagon. Like that it has actual ground clearance compared to the more modern "crossovers", or even newer "SUV's". Would love to have actual 4WD instead of AWD, but the AWD does the job for now.

Why a 2nd gen Sport?

I wanted a front engine rear wheel drive vehicle similar to my previously owned 1960 Volvo PV544 Sport
BluePV544.jpg

but with:
Front air bags
All wheel disc brakes
Little or no rust
6 or 8 cylinders instead of 4
Computer controlled fuel injected engine
Automatic instead of manual transmission
Air conditioning
Power windows & door locks
Readily available & relatively inexpensive parts
Modification potential
Low theft occurrence
Low insurance rates

And this was the result:
LSIDE.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back