SOA: Don't lose your third shock & track bars!!! ***PICS*** | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOA: Don't lose your third shock & track bars!!! ***PICS***

Ditto, I run across old threads on occasion, and wonder what the ideas were. They're fun to read too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When doing a SOA swap, is this 5th shock still needed, including the large double dampner thats mounted near the pinion? on V8 models?

I though about making a new panhard for the rear coming from the pinion dampner (removed and replaced with new bracket) to the original 5th shock mount...

Thoughts?

I threw my 3rd shock out as soon as I brought mine home. Eventually the 8.8 will be gone too.

When doing a SOA swap, is this 5th shock still needed, including the large double dampner thats mounted near the pinion? on V8 models?

I though about making a new panhard for the rear coming from the pinion dampner (removed and replaced with new bracket) to the original 5th shock mount...

Thoughts?

Moving the rearend away from the body also stretches the fifth shock, beyond its intended range or motion. I'd remove it for off road use, or find a longer version if you still drive on road a lot. It's not a major suspension component, but it helps with side to side movement while cornering.

Can someone explain the purpose of the dampner that is bolted next to the pinion? LIke 2 huge weights mounted there...

Can someone explain the purpose of the dampner that is bolted next to the pinion? LIke 2 huge weights mounted there...
Those are a NVH item, reducing noise and vibrations. Ford has put them on everything since the mid 80's, they are on the exhaust, and the rear diff usually. I toss them whenever I'm working near them, and the bolts are handy to pull.

It's there to help eliminate axle wrap on acceleration.

don't most lifted guys just toss the traction bars and 5th shock any way

don't most lifted guys just toss the traction bars and 5th shock any way

If your running leafs - Yes. In the 'Hot Rod world', I have always added a panhard bar to the rear to restrict any possible axle wrap.

A panhard bar doesn't eliminate axle wrap, it eliminates side to side movement of the axle.

Glad I stumbled onto this old thread. I was about to install the 410 limited slip I bought onto my 2 door 99 explorer (manual transmission 4.0 ohv) and the shock mounted beside the pinion had me scratching my head. When I went to see if my 99 4 door v8 donor had the same shock I saw it has the traction bars. Now I am trying to decide if I want to swap the v8 front and rear end into my 2 door. They are 373 and limited slip rear. When the motor gets swapped I will be installing a ZF5 so I will have a 5.72 first gear. I can't remember off hand what the ratio is on my "new" transfer case but I know it is lower than what I have right now. I am thinking 373 with 33 inch tires should be ok off road for now. I can always swap the rear gears to 410 when/if i install the air locked dana 44 in that i have waiting.

4.10 with 33's
I ditch the 3rd shock, the vibration damper and the traction bars on my rigs LOL I want them to FLEX as I drive down the bumpy dirt roads.... I am not taking my explorer on 33's to the drag strip LOL
I know lots of street dudes and even some off road guys love the V8 traction bars....I grind the mounts off ASAP and ditch those flex robbing parts as needed.........

Its 2 bolts per side to remove the trac bars and 2 bolts to remove the dampener. I can always take them off if I need to do something potentially stupid ;^)

Back