• Register Today It's free!

Soa question????

KYLE2289

Reaction score
City, State
MARTINSVILLE INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT

Make sure you're getting a kit for a 3.25" axle diameter.

The superlift kit looks a bit easier to install since the lower shock mounts are integrated into the spring perch. You could use the stock U-bolt plate with the shock mount already on it, but I found with the 4" lift springs and SOA and extended shocks, the shocks are too compressed at ride height. I only have about an inch of bump travel, that superlift kit would solve that issue. And it includes the extended sway bar links if you're still bothering to run a rear sway bar.

Other than that, set your pinion angle and make sure you still have enough engagement of the splines at the slip joint of the drive shaft. I had to extended my drive shaft. Others on here have been able to get away without it.

If you're running 4" lift springs AND SOA, I suspect you'll have to get an extension.

I have the Skyjacker lift leafs for Ranger. So they're pretty soft for an Explorer so I had to do the same and do SOA

I use the superlift soa brackets. I still haven't gotten around to welding them to the tube and have wheeled it for YEARS no issuse..if you have a 4" lift by means of lift leafs and plan to add a SOA (which is how i read it) you going to need a longer drive shaft and break line from frame to axle.also iF you still run a sway bar your need longer links....SOA nets you around 5-5.5 inches alone...the kit is made to adjust pinion angles

I went the ruffstuff way (the exact one you have linked)...

Some things I figured out after the fact (while I was doing the conversion)....

I needed a longer e-brake cable. I found it from a Ranger in the junk yard. I don't remember which year it was but I know it was early 90's and older as once I got to mid 90's it switched styles to more like the 2nd gen e-brake system (no more turnbuckle)

With the SOA and stock springs + War-153's I needed a longer drive shaft for full travel. I "might" have been able to get away without it but I barely had any splined engaged, even at ride height. With the axle moved (see below) I took away 2" of spline, even at ride height.

For the lower shock mounts I welded some tabs onto the sway bar mounts on the axle. Otherwise, they are the same shocks I had on before with the sua and lift.

I Moved my axle back 1" using the front hole on the spring mount.

Here is my SOA thread, in case it helps... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391276

~Mark

Back