SoCal: Big Bear Summer Camp n' Crawl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SoCal: Big Bear Summer Camp n' Crawl

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
After 2 years, i'm itching to wheel my own rig and what better place to go than where I rolled it:p:

As much as I like the trail that I rolled on, I'd prefer to run say Gold Mtn. to John Bull and Holcomb Creek in whatever combination is decided.

I'm thinking the latter part of this month (July) either Sat. 21 or Sat 28. Ideally it would be cool to have a few of us camping out maybe even on Friday before one of those dates and make a 3 or at least a 2.5 day weekend out of the trip. Based on past trips I think we'll have mostly people out for a day trip.

I'm not opposed to pushing this trip into August but the sooner the better for me...heck why not 2 trips:D

Camping details...I've camped at Hanna Flat before and it seemed like a decent campground. It's not far from town (Fawnskin) and some of the trails.
The campsites are on a first come first serve basis or you can reserve a spot online, each spot looks to be $24 dollars a night with an 8 person max.

Here's campsite info complete with directions (GPS cords. included):
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campi...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70532

Here's a map of the area where the campground is:
http://www.dirtopia.com/w/images/a/a5/Bigbearmap.jpg

It would be nice to determine a date and who's camping ASAP to make sure we get our spots reserved.

So who's in:smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Here's a bump for ya..:biggthump

..My trucks are out of commission for wheeling for a while..:hammer:

Looks like no one can make it or they aren't interested...bummer. Since it looks like it may just be Colin and I, we can shoot for the weekend of the 28th then. Gonna see if my buddy Tim with his TJ is interested in going too.

We can look for yellow post campsites which are free if we wanted to go that route. I'm not familiar with any of the locations but hopefully there's some maps online. I just suggested one of the pay campsites because it's easier to find.

Looks like no one can make it or they aren't interested...bummer. .
Or they might just have been doing holiday stuff and not watching the boards... :rolleyes:

I might be interested...

- if you're willing to run at least one 'small dog' run, and
- if my new tires show up by then.

I've got almost zero tread right now and a large sheet metal screw in one tire so I can't confirm until I get new tires. I will find out in a few days and post :thumbsup:

I might be interested...
- if you're willing to run at least one 'small dog' run, and

Sure, i'm up for anything really. Just wanna hit the dirt;)

Looks like no one can make it or they aren't interested...bummer. Since it looks like it may just be Colin and I, we can shoot for the weekend of the 28th then. Gonna see if my buddy Tim with his TJ is interested in going too.

We can look for yellow post campsites which are free if we wanted to go that route. I'm not familiar with any of the locations but hopefully there's some maps online. I just suggested one of the pay campsites because it's easier to find.

Hey DB1, sorry you missed our run in Big Bear last month, check out the photos near end of this thread, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357965
In the thread Boomer12 had a link to a web site with maps of the area.

We should be up the 21st and would be available to meet. Our vehicles can't do the BIG DOG runs, like Gold mountain or John Bull, however we have made several of the others. Still would be fun to meet up.
If it is the 28th I may still be available. Keep us posted

Our vehicles can't do the BIG DOG runs, like Gold mountain or John Bull, however we have made several of the others.

FWIW, I did Gold Mountain twice with just 2" lift and no lockers... but to be honest, I've never done it without at least a few minor dents 'showing up' :). If I can make it this time, I'll be glad to do some of the less extreme trails.

Subscribing...

Can't do the 28th as I'm doing a Rally with JP. 21st is probally no good to because I risk breaking it for the 28th.....:(

I all ears for Aug. though:D

...where I rolled it:p:

As much as I like the trail that I rolled on...

Where did you roll?

There are a couple other difficult trails up there. Heartbreak ridge and Rattlesnake canyon. Rattlesnake is definatly the most difficult in ther area. Heartbreak, not so much but still a good rock crawling run. Neither of these have the scenic beauty of bull and Holcolmb.

Happy Trails,

Dan

Any updates? Looks like I'll have my new tires before this after all :)

Where did you roll?

There are a couple other difficult trails up there. Heartbreak ridge and Rattlesnake canyon. Rattlesnake is definatly the most difficult in ther area. Heartbreak, not so much but still a good rock crawling run. Neither of these have the scenic beauty of bull and Holcolmb.

I rolled on Dishpan Springs trail. I'd like to say I was doing something radical but it was just a bad line I took.

Mottino Wash is also a good trail I hear over in that direction of the trails you mentioned. I believe it's somewhere near the road that goes up the backside of Big Bear coming from Yucca Valley.

As for a run this month, I don't see it happening for me. Sometime in August would be better. Might as well start throwing out dates if anyone is still interested.

That 100 yards of dishpan is a SOB. I have known a few that have rolled in that exact spot.

Back