Soft brake pedal feel, limited braking force | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soft brake pedal feel, limited braking force

Rs1100rs

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer xlt
Trying to help a girl FrIend out. she complained that brake pedal feels soft and has limited braking force. pads are good, bled lines to check with no improvement . master cylinder or power.booster? no apparent fluid loss. I've heard that Fords are known for soft pedal feel. also 123k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Following for similar reasons

I know there is a TSB for the issue on 2006-2008 Explorer and Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Sport Trac built before 5/31/2008.

I know it applies to my '07, and I plan to have it done at my work...but there's no info on the first 2 posts, so I don't know if it will apply.

Older brake systems are easy to bleed. The new ABS systems require a scanner to cycle the solenoid block while bleeding the brakes. It probably has air trapped in it even though it appears to bleed when you open the bleeder screws. Dorman sells bleeder screws with a built in check valve which is recommended to use if you are bleeding the brakes by yourself without an assistant.

Mines like that. it's annoying but there's still lots of braking power... eventually. I've had it looked up and down and no one could find anything wrong with it.

Not gonna lie there's been a couple close calls that were a little closer than they would have been because of this

Thanks folks. bleed brakes twice, got a better response from pedal. Just looking to get it to a point where I feel comfortable selling it.
Good to hear.

07 limited with soft pedal. I finally had to REPLACE ALL the fluid. Thats correct completely flush the entire system. now it has good breaks again. I know this sounds stupid but I tried everything else and did this in desperation and it worked. good luck

Back