Soft brakes

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Picked up a 92 for lulz, brakes were very soft in it, it had been sitting for about a year and the reservoir was nearly dry. Added fluid, bled the brakes until the whole system had only clean fluid.

At first, I couldn't get the rears to bleed. Almost no pressure back there. Lots of pedal pressure with the engine off and no vacuum applied. Started the engine and tried bleeding for a moment like that so I could get additional pressure in case there was just some kind of blockage in the lines, force it through. Started getting fluid after a couple tries.

Finished bleeding, with the engine off and vacuum exhausted, I have a little over 1/3 of pedal travel before I cannot press any further. Brake pedal feels normal. Brakes can hold the vehicle. With the engine on, and good vacuum to the booster, I can press the pedal all the way to the floor, and need to press it nearly that far to get enough brake to hold the vehicle.

Emergency brake works normally and I cannot see any leaks anywhere in the system.

92 XLT 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no.

they wouldn't cause this issue anyways.

check the rear adjusters to make sure they are actually still there and working.
Sometimes a PO will remove them. Sometimes the cable rusts.

Look at the booster below the master cylinder. Any streaks of rust where the paint is gone? I couldn't see mine until I took the inner fender out.

check the rear adjusters to make sure they are actually still there and working.
Sometimes a PO will remove them. Sometimes the cable rusts.

Look at the booster below the master cylinder. Any streaks of rust where the paint is gone? I couldn't see mine until I took the inner fender out.

Actually I just had the brakes off today and noticed the cables were broken so the adjusters were wicked loose. Replaced shoes and hardware. Good now.

Back