Soft or Stiff Shocks better for off-roading & flex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soft or Stiff Shocks better for off-roading & flex?

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
Which is better for off-roading (i.e. flex)? Softer or stiffer shocks?

I need new shocks. I narrowed it down to Monroe's line.

I'm thinking about getting their Sensi-Trac rear load adjusting shocks (super stiff), honestly, just because they look cool. They look like coil-overs! I will be towing a 5x10 enclosed trailer a couple times a year.

I can't decide between the Sensi-Tracs (softest) or Reflex Truck (stiff) shocks up front. Monroe recommends the rear loaders in the rear and the Reflex in front for even occasional towing.

A lot of guys make a big deal about their shocks, I just never got it. I've been driving around with cracked-in-half shocks and never noticed. My girlfriend would probably appreciate the soft shocks. I like to be reminded I'm driving a truck ... to a point.

How would it play out to have super-stiff shocks in the rear and softies in the front?

Most importantly, something I can't find, I want to be able to get the most flex out of that front IFS.

Attachments

• partImageDisplay.do.jpg
    partImageDisplay.do.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 500

Soft in general rides better for off road -- and its the other way around usually between front and back: stiff in the front soft in the back cauz the front has most of the weight and has less travel. As for flex, as long as the shock doesnt have a coil (which the one pictured does), and it does not bottom/max out, then the shocks are not a factor of flex

Ditto..

Assuming the shocks aren't limiting your travel they don't affect flex. They will affect ride though..

I like the rs9000xl's because I can make then stiffer for the faster running stuff and softer for DD or rock crawling.. I did find though that having them too l soft will allow the suspension to bounce around which is bad for situation when your about to roll over..

~Mark

Back