• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Soft Rear Windows

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
I'm looking to drop some weight and open up the cab a bit (without chopping the top)....

So, I'd like to take out the rear side windows. Most of the time I'll just run with them open. But for the rain or winter cold, I'd like to snap in some soft windows.

Has anyone done this? If not in a BII, maybe in an explorer? Looking for some ideas or pictures, advice on materials, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"

Notice there is no window slot openings in the door, I fiberglassed them all in for a smooth apperance.

I commend you for wanting to take off some COG robbing weight.
Hope this helps.
I spent a lot of hours in reduction of door weight on my B2. Those doors are extremely heavy. After installing those plastic windows and removing all the hardware inside for rolling the windows up and down, I can pick up a door with two fingers. You might not want to do all of that, but those windows alone are heavy.
Oh ya, forgot, also took off those side vent window also and then all around the inside where the glass used to roll up into, I fiberglassed it all in.
Mine was made by an upholstery shop that also did boats which have a lot of the soft vinyl windows.
Notice how the top and sides are inside the door so the water rolls down the window instead of inside. Then the bottom is on outside.
Also he put those 3 straps on the inside that really stretches the window tight.
The top pics where taken over 4 years ago.
The lower pics were taken 1/2 hour ago and there still as nice as the day I put them on over 4 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Those look nice! I bet something like that would work for the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
I know you got one of the best looking B2s on the planet, and if I know you, what ever you have done on those windows will look great.
Good Luck.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Rick did it on the windows of the Pumpkin...

tyler perkins

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas , nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011,bmw
rear windows

Notice there is no window slot openings in the door, I fiberglassed them all in for a smooth apperance.

I commend you for wanting to take off some COG robbing weight.
Hope this helps.
I spent a lot of hours in reduction of door weight on my B2. Those doors are extremely heavy. After installing those plastic windows and removing all the hardware inside for rolling the windows up and down, I can pick up a door with two fingers. You might not want to do all of that, but those windows alone are heavy.
Oh ya, forgot, also took off those side vent window also and then all around the inside where the glass used to roll up into, I fiberglassed it all in.
Mine was made by an upholstery shop that also did boats which have a lot of the soft vinyl windows.
Notice how the top and sides are inside the door so the water rolls down the window instead of inside. Then the bottom is on outside.
Also he put those 3 straps on the inside that really stretches the window tight.
The top pics where taken over 4 years ago.
The lower pics were taken 1/2 hour ago and there still as nice as the day I put them on over 4 years ago.

This one is pretty good helps you in rainy season.I am surely going to use this idea for my rear windows.

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks dirtcowboy!

dirtcowboy

Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
85 BII, 03 Sport
Yup yup, love your BII! FYI, I did this mod with canvas, not clear plastic, and it worked out great.

Last edited:

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Any pics of your setup?

I was tossing around the idea of either doing clear canvas or mar resistant Lexan like some of the hot rodders do. The idea was to have the Lexan bolt out with some wing nuts or something.

The canvas windows are awesome but I'm paranoid about people breaking in. I don't know how the soft top Jeep guys sleep soundly at night.