SOHC Acceleration | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Acceleration

I let mine run up to 4000rpm fairly often but if I got mileage like some of you guys get I'd freak. The last time I did a 12 tank average I got 23.3mpg out of my 91 XLT 2wd. About 85% of my driving interstate running 68-71mph. I have got as much as 420miles out of tank of gas. My wifes new 02 checked at 18.5mpg on the first tank, I can live with that. It's got about 600miles on it now. The only time I got anywhere near 12-13mpg was when my fuel pressure reg. bit the dust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To the floor

Floor it, lead foot here, mine switches at 6000 uses all of the tach. Gotta love it flies baby!!

My SOHC X revs upto 6K everytime before it shifts, and I love it :) Getting fairly bad mileage though. I think the best place to keep the SOHC upon acceleration is at about 3,400 RPMs which is where its peak torque is, and where the engine should be operating at peak efficiency. Horsepower peak of 210 is at 5,200, so keep it between 3,400-5,200 for strong acceleration. 5R55E does a good job of keeping it at about 3,400.

The 4.0 SOHC is a pretty amazing engine. Even with my 31's I can still dust almost anyone on the road.

hey Alec,
the a/f on that chart was really lean for a blown explorer. If it's anywhere near that after the tune, you may want to fatten it up. You'll also get more low end torque if you can get a/f after tip-in below 13:1.

attachment.php

Brian

Back