• Register Today It's free!

SOHC and OHV

PatrickH82

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4
I have a '99 XLT OHV. What is the difference between an OHV and a SOHC/SOHV whatever its called?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC has a fair bit more HP and a tad more torque (I may be wrong on the torque comment). It's considered an upgrade when you were buying a brand new Ex and standard fare on the more expensive Explorers with V6 engines (Eddie Bauer, Limited). Don't fret, many people swear by the OHV engine. It's been a real workhorse in the Ford stable for a while. I've owned Explorers with both, and while I much prefer the SOHC engine, OHV wasn't bad.

Keep in mind that aftermarket parts for SOHC engines don't always fit OHV, and vice-versa.

celly said:
SOHC has a fair bit more HP and a tad more torque (I may be wrong on the torque comment). It's considered an upgrade when you were buying a brand new Ex and standard fare on the more expensive Explorers with V6 engines (Eddie Bauer, Limited). Don't fret, many people swear by the OHV engine. It's been a real workhorse in the Ford stable for a while. I've owned Explorers with both, and while I much prefer the SOHC engine, OHV wasn't bad.

Keep in mind that aftermarket parts for SOHC engines don't always fit OHV, and vice-versa.
The 2000 SOHC engine has alot more HP and TQ than the 00 OHV
OHV 160/220, SOHC 205/240, 2002 SOHC and up 210/250

I stand corrected. The torque/HP ratio on the OHV isn't bad vis a vis SOHC (not that the ratio would mean anything to me). That must've been what I was thinking. People always rave about the great torque on the OHV. I guess it's not bad, all things equal.

Thanks Spindle.

The OHC makes it power higher on the rpm scale....I would venture that unless you wound the OHC out it would be par to the OHV.

wpurple said:
The OHC makes it power higher on the rpm scale....I would venture that unless you wound the OHC out it would be par to the OHV.
Not with 50 more crank H.P JMO, is no contest on any scale.

so what would a 96 4.0 xlt have. and ohv/sohc?

eckerd_explorer said:
so what would a 96 4.0 xlt have. and ohv/sohc?

OHV

A 96 will have a 4.0 ohv the sohc did not come out till 97. The valve train on the single over head cam is a completly different design than the over head valve 4.0 I good go into a long winded post about the mechanical differences but I'm lazy, go look on www.howthingswork.com and you'll find all you need to know.

Doug said:
A 96 will have a 4.0 ohv the sohc did not come out till 97. The valve train on the single over head cam is a completly different design than the over head valve 4.0 I good go into a long winded post about the mechanical differences but I'm lazy, go look on www.howthingswork.com and you'll find all you need to know.

So my '96 V6 Limited has the OHV then?

Yup it's got the 4.0 ohv.

Wow, I learned something new today about my X.

do any of the sohc's have a timing belt?

celly said:
Don't fret, many people swear by the OHV engine.
I swear AT mine :D

Back