SOHC engine question | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

SOHC engine question

Scott109

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
I have a question for all the SOHC engine gurus.
Is this an interference engine? In other words, if the cam chain broke or even jumped a tooth would the pistons wack the valves that were hanging open?
Thanks for any info!

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

mark4L

Reaction score
City, State
Oxford,AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
recall

there is a cam chain recall on sohc engines for chain and if trouble also covers assosiated damages to engine ....check it out if you are haveing trouble

keep me posted

<

Scott109

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
C'mon guys, I can't believe nobody knows this.......

<

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Sorry.....i'm not the smartest engine guy in the world but it seems to me that of course the engine would have to be rebuilt if anything like that happened to the timing chain.

<

shawnbru

Reaction score
City, State
Clawson, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL 4X4 4dr
Not totally sure

I would be shocked if it were a non interference engine as many engines more sophisticated than the SOHC 4.0L are interference. I won't tell you what it cost to get my Audi A4 with 5 valves per cylinder fixed after it skipped a couple of teeth. Sold the car after that.

<

nosaj122081

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Re: Not totally sure

Originally posted by shawnbru
I would be shocked if it were a non interference engine as many engines more sophisticated than the SOHC 4.0L are interference. I won't tell you what it cost to get my Audi A4 with 5 valves per cylinder fixed after it skipped a couple of teeth. Sold the car after that.

Yeah, most OHC motors I've read about are interference, the only one that really pops in there that isn't is the turbo 4cyl Toyota used in MR2's and Celicas. LOL, yeah, if your Audi is anything like my Talons were, if the timing belt snaps or jumps time its 2000+:fire: ...

<

Scott109

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Okay, thanks guys!

Scott

<