Sohc in 1996 Xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sohc in 1996 Xlt

I was wondering if you could put a sohc in a 1996. I was wondering if there was a company that made the wiring harnesses, and other thing required. I currently have no engine problems or reason to think about swapping, but I like to be prepared. Would the Auto Trans bolt up? Anything I would need besides electrical/motor mounts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In a 1996, you would need a new coomputer and wiring harness. You would just buy this along with the motor. THis is just about all you need except for the sensors that are SOHC only (such as knock sensor, Variable Induction system). Your existing tranny might work. But I beleive the SOHC's bolt pattern is different than your 96's. In that case, you would need a 97+ 5R55E to bolt up to it. Your original TC will work fine with it.

Hope that helped.

You'd be better off selling your 1996 and using the $ towards a 97+ with the SOHC. Save a lot of hassle.

too much $$$$

With over 12,000 invested in my truck I'm going to drive it until

A: I total it
B: It entirely falls apart
C: There is a world wide shortage on auto trannys to replace the defunct ones I'm sure I will have in the future.

The trade in value of these trucks totally suck, so all I would do is loose money. I have a ton of new parts(new tranny, front axle,all ball joints,Idle control valve, all tranny electronics, all new rotors and pads)

I was just looking for options when my engine does go. After that I'll prob. make it a secondary/off road/camping vehicle. If I wanted to save money I'd sell the EX and never buy a new one. I will never buy another Ex as of now anyways. :(

LOL, I'm sorry. I didn't realize yours was like mine. Thank God it was under warranty for 99% of the work (we had an extended 5 year 50,000 mile warranty added to the 3/36). I'd estimate over $5000 in repairs was done in those 92000 miles. But I'm a sap, and would get another Explorer...

Yes, not a hard swap. just very,very,very expensive. (motor, mounts, wiring, computer,trans). How about a new ohv and maybe a custom intake/exhaust setup?

Heck....a 96+ 5.0 V8 is a bolt in swap!! Have you thought about this as an option? Either way, the wiring will be tricky.

Al

Back