SOHC muffler - good replacement? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC muffler - good replacement?

i just had the muffler shop put on a "stock body" turbo muffler, its quite small and only has two baffles instead of 3. The tone is un-noticable after 3k rpm any thing below that is comparable to the noise of new stock gto the 5.7 not the 6 liter. I really enjoy it wish it was a little louder oh well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think that **** im talkin about is the resonator. If I got the 50 suv series would it be lower than sound clip on the flowmaster site because of the resonator. Does that sound clip even sound close to the real explorer sound with it. People who have used this one or have it now let me hear some feedback on it.

Explorer#2 said:

Will this muffler also fit the '01 explorer sohc. I've seen a lot of websites that say parts only fit ex's from '97-'00 or '95-'00, even though this website and others say that the second gen explorers go to '01. So will all the other parts that I see (air intake, lifts, grille gaurds, etc.) also fit my '01 ex, even though they say they only fit the 00's?

check and see if the oem muffler is the same as the 2000. if it is the same muffler it should fit

Somebody feel like bein a nice guy and checkin on that for me because right now I have very limited internet access and my x is unavailable to me.

I just got my flowmaster today and on the site it says dual 2.25 in and 3" out and that is for 97-00 sohc. I have a 99 sport sohc. The tail pipe on my truck is 2.25(i just measured). Do they sell adapters so I can pop it on with clamps so i can drive until I get a new tailpipe all welded up. What we be a good size pipe? Is a 3" pipe too big?

2.5" piping is optimal for SOHC, in my opinion (and many others). So says Flowmaster on their site too (based on HP).

I want to do 3 inch but not sure if performance would be lowered.

Go nuts. It's your Ex. In theory, I think you lose bottom end and your Ex will be louder with 3".

This issue gets addressed all the time. Search around the site and you'll find this same discussion rehashed numerous times through the years.

I had 2.5" piping on my old SOHC Sport and it was perfect. I also have the same on my V8 Eddie and it's great as well.

What exactly will happen if i go 3 inch. low end torque its what rpm. I dont tow anything so would it effect me?

well i got my friend to do a 2.5 tailpipe and weld my muffler on. It sounds like a ricer when i hit over 2000 rpm. i am disappointed becuase i thought it would sound really deep. Instead its more like high pitch. There is no tip on the tailpipe. I dont know what i could do to make it deeper. But if I could I wouldnt get this one and save 200 bucks or get the hushpower or 40 series.

rhyno said:
I beg to differ. I purchased a flowmaster SUV with 2 inlets and one outlet for use on my 97 SOHC.

*some* of the 97s and all the 98 Sports had a dual-inlet muffler. The problem is that even though Flowmaster makes a dual-inlet, it won't work on some of them because *some* of the 97-98 (and 98 Sports) had one inlet clamp-on and one inlet flanged. The muffler Flowmaster makes is set-up for BOTH clamped. That's why they don't make a direct bolt-in for some of 'em (mine included)

Now, that being said, the DO make a dual- 2.25 inlet, single 3" outlet that worked like a charm on mine. I found a 50-series performance/SUV muffler on their site that a local performance shop sold for $100. Then, I found a local exhaust shop that installed a flange on one inlet and made an adapter for the outlet to get back down to the stock tailpipe. Worked like a charm!!

The buzziness that most people complain of with the 50 series on the 4.0 SOHC seems to occur when they remove the OEM resonator. I used my OEM tailpipe and resonator, and LOVE the sound. Nothing's going to make it sound like a V-8, but there's no buzziness ot tinny sound to mine at all.

-Joe

Good point about the resonator... that was put there to take the drone out of the exhaust so naturally if you remove it AND add a chambered muffler you are going to get some drone..

I had an off road X pipe on my 95 Cobra and used dual 30 series flowmasters (the real loud ones) and it droned like hell until I had two resonators welded in the X pipe and then it sounded wonderful, many guys around here wondered what I did to get that sound and I always kept it to myself ;)

Forgot to mention it before.... I do get a drone, but it's only between 80 and 82 mph. No drone at any speed less than 80 or any other gear, and I can't hear the drone over the wind noise above 82. If I keep the cruise set to 78-79, no drone whatsoever! :) :)

-Joe

well i just opened it up at around 3000 rpm on the highway for around 7-8 minutes. As i was turning down streets it sounded alot deeper than it did. i dont know why but it made a difference. i hope it stays liek this.

Mufflers do change tone over time as carbon builds up in them. That's normal.

yea i know that but in a matter a 3 days it will build up?

IZwack said:
I'm perhaps on the other end of the spectrum. I am looking for a very quiet muffler - any suggestions? My stock one is falling out (I've welded it once already) so i think I'll replace it come spring.

Stock is the quietest one I know of. Any exhaust shop should have them, but they're not cheap....

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer#2 said:
why would you wanna pay to go back to stock when you could get the benifits of an aftermarket exhaust.

I suggested it because he stated that he wanted a QUIET exhaust. Not a higher performance one, not one that'll get better gas mileage, not one with a woo-woo tip, but a quiet one.

If anyone knows of a quieter aftermarket muffler than the stock one, I'm all ears.

-Joe

Back