• Register Today It's free!

sohc, no spark, Help!

B2Dude

Reaction score
City, State
Chico State
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 XLT
Hey everyone, my neighbor came by today asking for help with his 97 ex, it cranks but doesn't start.

it was running fine, went to dinner, came out and it wouldn't start, he had it towed home.

I pulled a sparkplug, and no spark. I pulled the plug to the coil and with the key in the ON position it gets 12v to the coil.

So, we both assumed coil died...

we installed a new coil and still no spark...

any ideas? inertia switch is fine, it squirts fuel out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail...

I am thinking there must be some sensor that isn't working right so the computer doesn't know when to fire. The crank angle sensor seems to be hooked up properly.

I'd like to help the kid out....

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

search on sohc... you will find lots of posts about timing issues. Probably the crank sensor or worse. The check engine light should come on when you put the key to "run".... then when you go to "start", it should go out...at some point.... that point being when the PCM has detected a signal from the aftermentioned sensor... the signal is used for timing.

I agree, common problem with sohc 4.0. Spining no start no fire, suspect the ckp (crank shaft position sensor). Now this opinion is based on you checking the light function as the post above this one explained.

Okay, thanks, is that something that could go out all of a sudden like it did?

So, if it cranks and the CEL never turns off then it is safe to assume that the CKP is bad?

No.... it just means that the sensor isn't sending a signal to turn off the light. There are reasons for that including a bad sensor, bad wires, internal engine problems, etc...

Hey everyone, my neighbor came by today asking for help with his 97 ex, it cranks but doesn't start.

it was running fine, went to dinner, came out and it wouldn't start, he had it towed home.

I pulled a sparkplug, and no spark. I pulled the plug to the coil and with the key in the ON position it gets 12v to the coil.

So, we both assumed coil died...

we installed a new coil and still no spark...

any ideas? inertia switch is fine, it squirts fuel out of the schrader valve on the fuel rail...

I am thinking there must be some sensor that isn't working right so the computer doesn't know when to fire. The crank angle sensor seems to be hooked up properly.

I'd like to help the kid out....

Thanks in advance
mine did that, had spark, fuel there is the box from the fire wall wires on left side of engine lots of wires in it I tryed to unplug it but did,nt get it done, bolt in the middle of it when i put it back the car started,also have high beam on the lights, did,nt have that before, bad connection in the box. any way runs good now.

Back