• Register Today It's free!

SOHC or OHV on 98 4 door 4x4

Mahly

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4 door
Hey guys, New here. Had a 91 Navajo (Loved it) Now I am looking at a 98 4 door explorer. I need to know, how can you tell if it has the overhead cam motor in it? The manual lists a SOHC in the back, but I am not sure, as this was an option(?) on some. It's not an EB...but it does have an automatic tranny (if that matters) and it a 4wd (with that wierd Auto/4wd high/4wdlow switch)
Sorry for the lowly newb question.
Also...I have read that no one makes lift kits for this truck....and I have also seen lifted versions of this truck (more 2 doors than 4 though) The question is: CAN you get a 2" lift for this truck (rear AND front)?
Thanx 1,000,000
Mahly
www.nesba.com

2" lift via torsion bar twist.. do a search...

pop the hood, if it says 4.0l EFI its an ohv

the the cover on the sohc says 4.0l SOHC

From my personal experience, I would stay away from the SOHC especially the earlier SOHC's they had some problems with cam guide tensioners which are covered by an extended warranty/recall program. Given the year you are looking at mileages will probably be over 70,000.
While the OHV won't have the pep of the SOHC its makes up for it in a more reliable high mileage engine, where the SOHC just hasn't been round long enough for super high mileage experiences in excess of 125,000. I have seen a few guys who have X's with that mileage post here so maybe they can give you a better idea of what they have encountered.

Deak

Check the 8th digit of your vin for the engine code.

If it is X, it has the old OHV 4.0.

Back