• Register Today It's free!

SOHC timing chain ?

h2osurf

Reaction score
City, State
SanDiego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4x4
Hi all, i've got a 99 x sport 4x4 sohc and my timing chain is going... how necesary a fix is this. i know it needs to get fixed, but as a college student funds and timing never seem to work out just right. Was wondering how long i could potentially go without seeing adverse affects or have it start to effect other components.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has been doing it for the last 15,000k’s and has not gotten any worse. I.E if I start it up and if it starts rattling I simply sit and wait for it to stop maybe 5seconds to 3½ minutes at the max and then drive off. Also I try to keep it below 2500rpm until the engine has a chance to warm up a bit.

I have also ditched the ford/ Mobil 10W30 and am now using a special 10W50 oil made by Penrite oil, I don’t think you will get it over there as it id blended for Australian driving conditions.

You could poetically drive it for another 100,000 and have nothing go wrong, it all depends on how long you want to risk it for. I will be doing my cam chain tensioner in about 5000k’s and will take it from there.

I have no idea what a timing chain sounds like. Can someone let me know how to tell when mine is starting to go?

Upon start up you will hear a rattling sound coming from the front or back of the engine, it will sound a-little like a diesel engine, and also between 2500-3000rpm you will also hear a slight rattle coming from the engine.

My guess is you don’t have the problem, as it is fairly obvious when it happens

Does it go away when it warms up? I have a noise when I first start that sounds like the bearings are bad on something but it goes away when it's warmed up. I've been busy so I haven't had a chance to look inti it

mine doesnt go away after its warmed up, i barely hear it when its idling, but if i drop the transmission into gear, it becomes much more pronounced. Engine is definitly a bit rougher too, but i i've had it for about 5k now and its probably just deteriorating(spelling?) with use, im gonna take it to my uncle in a month and half and well fix it together, just labor intensive from what i've been told.

I wish I had someone like that around. I don't have the experience to do it myself so I'll probably have to take it to a dealer when the time comes. Hmm, maybe that's a good reason to start experimenting with it to learn a lot before it happens.

yeah hes handy to have around (6hour drive to his house) but hes good where he'll teach you as you help. So the next time something happens ill have a better understanding of my engine. Plus its fun getting greasy.

The same noises can be caused by at least five different engine parts. Three of them have had recalls. Do not wait too long for the big failure. If lucky, the main repairs can be had for a couple hundred dollars plus labor.

The big failure is total engine destruction, the noise will simply change to nothing, when the engine blows. Don't wait that long, new or rebuilt engines, on short notice, cost thousands of dollars.

I can do any car work, I bought the parts, and special tools, for under $350. After a day of work, I have all but the one part(rear cam cassette) replaced. I wish I had taken the time to separate the engine from the trans, for that part also. It is less likely to be an issue, so I will risk that one part. Good luck to you all.

Hi Don,

I want to repair the timing chain problem in my explorer, could you help me the the part number of all the components that I will need to fix it. I already replaced both tensioners, but didn´t solve the problem, the rattle noise in front has gone but the one in back is still there.

Thank you.
Ernesto

Explorer timing parts source?

CDW6212R said:
The same noises can be caused by at least five different engine parts. Three of them have had recalls. Do not wait too long for the big failure. If lucky, the main repairs can be had for a couple hundred dollars plus labor.

The big failure is total engine destruction, the noise will simply change to nothing, when the engine blows. Don't wait that long, new or rebuilt engines, on short notice, cost thousands of dollars.

I can do any car work, I bought the parts, and special tools, for under $350. After a day of work, I have all but the one part(rear cam cassette) replaced. I wish I had taken the time to separate the engine from the trans, for that part also. It is less likely to be an issue, so I will risk that one part. Good luck to you all.

I am new to the Explorer world but have been doing Rangers for years...Coverting them to V8 power and all.. Anyway where did you get your parts for the timing components? I am buying a 99 XLT with a dead chain and will probably look into replacing the chain if the engine is sound or drop a v8 into this truick...Thanks for the info...

I have the 4.0L SOHC in a '97 Eddie. I didn't hear any noise 'til I had 127K on it. Rear timing chain went less than a week later. What a noise! Sounded like someone threw two hands full of hardware in an empty clothes dryer and turned it on. Souned very expensive, and it was. My mechanic said that had been a problem with this engine. He could repair the rear chain problems and the damage it had caused for about $1500. And that would be no guarantee that the front chain wouldn't go next week, next month, or next year due to the high miles. Once he tore into it, the damage was more extensive the expected. New Jasper rebuilt with all fluids, hoses, and belts, with labor: $5K. Wish I had been a member of this site back then!

Question, if this is a big problem are the replacement chains different or modified so the problem will not happen again?

I been researching this rattle problem for a while my 99 started at 60000 its got 156000 and sounds like its going any time now I got quotes from $4000 to replace long block to $1500 to do all three cam chains but I don't trust any of the mechanics I've spoken to
I know when I first started looking into this Ford had replacement parts that were the same as the originals dead in 10000 mi then a kit for the balance shaft guide, tensioner and chain were supposed to fix this rattle without changing the the camshaft cassettes after reading more posts and seeing pics of cassettes destroyed I think replacing the whole motor is easier and probably cheaper

I just had all of the timing chains replaced last month, 157,000 miles on it. Initially my mechanic thought that just the front chains would need replacing. Well, when he got the front open he found that the tensioner (or the slide I forget which) had broken and fallen into the oil pan. Sooo, instead of being about $800 (parts and labor) it ended up being $2100. It was probably for the best, though. When the rear chain was replaced it was found that a mounting hole had broken out of the tensioner.

What brought this all on was a noise that was coming from the front bottom of the engine. It sounds like a tinny, metallic rattle. After all the parts were removed it became obvious what the noise was. All of the plastic on the balance shaft tensioner was gone.

Remember, the parts alone are easily under $250, and the special tool kit is about $150. The rest is all labor, a competent mechanic can do it in under a day, for all but the back cassette. Don't put of a $500 repair until it becomes a $2500 engine job, and don't pay $1500 for a one day job. Good luck,

Back