• Register Today It's free!

SOHC timing chains

windsoreight

Reaction score
City, State
Ocean City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I am new here and looking for assistance. I have a 1998 that came into work with a bad jackshaft tensioner and a bad guide on the left cam chain. It has jumped time. Does anyone have expirence with these engines? Of cousre there are no timing marks. And the only thing stopping the timing gears from moving is the torque on the bolt. Has anyone attempted it without any of the special tools? I know I need the crank at TDC along with both cams. Any assistance you guys can give would be great. I have never seen one go this bad. There is nothing left of the crank to jackshaft tensioner. It is gone. The guide to the left cam was wedged into the jackshaft chain. What a mess. So if anyone has any info or can offer any tip I really appreciate the help. THanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the engine needs to RIP. If the plastic pieces blew up, they get into the oil passages and gum everything up. Only other advice I can give is to PM Eneurb. He's a Ford Mechanic. He might be able to give you the advice you seek.

Nope. I got it all fixed. I purchased the OTC kit to time the cams and the crank. I pulled the lower pan and cleaned it out. I replaced the front cassette, tensioner, crank to jack shaft chain, that tensioner, and replace the tensioner for the rear chain. The motor runs like new. I have never seen one blow apart that bad. There was no tensioner left for the jackshaft to crankshaft chain. It was in the pan.

Good stuff. Glad it worked out.

The only way to do it is with the right tools. It's an interference fit engine, and it's not worth trying to take short cuts.

Ditto, I am just into my 99 SOHC. I would bet that your left cam chain cassette fell apart, and took out the jack shaft guides. Mine all look great, but I am changing my left cassette, and the tensioners.

The Haynes manual didn't mention that the jackshaft bolt is the only thing holding the jack shaft to the crank. I loosened mine, not planning to remove anything until I installed the tools.

The cams moved. Now I have to move the crank and cams separately, together, back to TDC. I thought that the cam bolts were the only don't touch items. That jack shaft star bolt is the third don't touch item.
I hope others don't do this. Get the tools first, install them, and then remove the chains.
Don

well fella's i just joined and have the same issue and ford told me to junk it...
so i called the group and powers too bee and we are putting a engine out of a mustang in it and the trans and transfer case outta a f-150 in it and chopping the shafts and making new ones will show my pics in a week or so after the lift kits and mods are all put in it is going to be a bear but i'm gonna throw mud from WV to all my neighbors when done so look out here she comes I've decided to name her the white bull cause she's stubborn but gonna be mean!!
I'll keep you posted

Back