sohc timing cover removed. guess what I found | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sohc timing cover removed. guess what I found

badgett

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
HELP! SOHC timing cover removed. guess what I found

When I removed the timing cover I found my primary chain guide ok and the tensioner was intact but not applying much tension to the chain. There's one problem ! Then I noticed the small chain for the balance shaft had no lower tensioner at all. It had so much slack I don't know how it stayed on. Can I just cut the chain to the balance shaft and run without it? If I have to have it, do I have to take the oil pan off or can I just drop the pan down a little? Please help !! I need my X back on the road. You guys have gotten me this far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

How many miles are on the truck? Are you planning to install the primary chain update kit?

I don't know enough about the balance shaft to comment, but if you live near a Ford dealer, go over at lunch and ask one of the techs. Wander into the lunch room, or out the back to the picnic table. Don't talk to a service adviser, they will lie to you anyway. I have gotten free advise before; the techs are more than happy to help...

I believe that you will have to drop at least the steel pan to clean out debris. Ask about the balance shaft and be sure of the advice, there have been others to ask and no answers have been reported back. Good luck,

Thanks. I will report back when I find out. By the way, the truck has 129,000 on the clock and i was very suprised to see the timing components in good shape. I will change the tensioners and guides on the front of the engine. I'm hoping the rear will hold out for a while.

It's alot of work but not hard if you are use to working on engines. I will take pics as soon as I get some batteries for my camera. Remove upper intake, remove drivers side valve cover, remove alternator mounting bracket, take bolts out of ps an ac bracket and move it out of you way. Do not remove ps or ac lines. Remove radiator if you want more space (optional). Fan requires special tool to remove. I just removed waterpump with fan still attached. Use puller to remove crank pulley. Remove front cover and you're staring at your chains. If it's a DD, find a car to borrow. It will take a few days of getting parts and fetching gaskets. You'll always run into something that will slow you down. If I had to do it again, I would just pay someone else to do it. :salute:

If I had to do it again, I would just pay someone else to do it. :salute:

Not very encouraging for those DIY'ers with this job ahead. Any pics you can share?

Search for "timing chain cassettes tensioners" for other threads. Many have good pictures. It is a tough job, removing the balancer and dealing with the crank bolt is the hardest part, having the right bolts/tools and a friend to help is the key there. Regards,

When I removed the timing cover I found my primary chain guide ok and the tensioner was intact but not applying much tension to the chain. There's one problem ! Then I noticed the small chain for the balance shaft had no lower tensioner at all. It had so much slack I don't know how it stayed on. Can I just cut the chain to the balance shaft and run without it? .

Badgett, did you ever find an answer to wether you can remove the balance shaft chain and run without it?

Back