• Register Today It's free!

sohc to ohv swap

Doubt Incarnate

Reaction score
City, State
"Franktucky", Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
Ok i'm an idiot for wanting a simpler motor. enough said :confused: .

the power from the sohc is pretty cool, just late. I like my fun around 3K rpm or so, not after 4. Combine the part where doing a head gasket would suck since you supposedly need special tools to line the cams back up :fire: . good job on the design ford, more money for you. im also not a fan of automatics so the 5r55e is always on my mind and now im paranoid. there isnt many miles ive driven without one eye comparing revs to mph, feels like the left side of my brain is a computer now.

this is basicaly a feeler to see what all is involved with swapping an ohv/m5r1 setup in place of the sohc/5r drivetrain. obviously the best thing to do is to get a donor, but i dont have that kinda space. biggest concerns are how everything else would function with the ecm swap, like the info center and all the other little goodies the eddies have. I've built a few motors so i'm not in the dark as far as swaping stuff out. would an ecm swap even be neccesary since there is supposedly 1 sensor on the sohc the ohv doesnt have?

i'm sure i'll sprout a few more ?'s thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if ur doing this for dependability or whatever, maybe a ford isnt the proper vehicle for you ;) i mean lets face it, on average, hondas and toyotas will out last our ford explorers.

the most dependable things ive had are fords, fords i could work on.

Wow, why?
go 5.0L

The SOHC is a good drivetrain, they are relaible and dependable in my experiences.

Possible? yes
You may be able to run a OHV 4.0L in your truck but anytime you are talking 98+ you are talking a gem module that performs alot of functions for the truck and also PATS, as well as computer controlled automatics. Swapping to a OHV 4.0L is going to be just as difficult as putting in another SOHC or V8 drivetrain, so why go backwards? For the reliablity? you want a reliable automatic and engine? go 5.0L not 4.0L

I say get familiar with your SOHC 4.0L and learn how to work with it, or sell the truck and get what you want. Otherwise plan a complete drivetrain conversion. Your conversion is made a bit easier because your truck is a Gen II and the Gen II came with 3 different engines, so it can all be bolted in as long as you know what you are getting into. Heck I would trade you a 99 4.0L drivetrain for a 99 SOHC in a heart beat! But not getting everything you need from one donor = asking for headaches

I like 6's, i dunno why i'm just a small motor kinda guy. parts i can lift and move myself are a plus. 8's are cool, but room is good too. i'm hangin on to the sohc till it dies, just looking for a simpler replacment if/when the time comes. i forgot about the gem. mostly i'd like a stick, but i cant seem to find any r1hd's that bolt to sohc around here. i might know where 1 is, but its not likely an hd. i figured if i found a whole salvage ranger donor with a ohv/m5r1 in it i'd be good to go. looks i'll keep my eye open for a genII stick sport to pirate. probly should have opted for the 96 sport that was on the lot, i would have had money left to lift it or have fun with it. oh well, too bad there isnt a turbo deisel swap...

I stuffed the 8 in my truck where the 2.9L and the OHV used to sit. Honestly the 5.0L is not much larger and its actually easier to work on in my opinion.

I would keep my eye out for a Late model Ranger Edge with a SOHC and 5 speed personally, drop that in there. The 01+ SOHC is as reliable as they come, no its not a pushrod engine, yes it has alot of plastic stuff on it, but they will last 250K+ with relgular maint and no overheating IMO.

im guessing the 5speeds from an ohv arent going to work are they? there are a million of those.

If you put a OHV in your truck then the OHV 5 speed would work? I am not sure what you are asking? You mean behind your SOHC?
The OHV and SOHC 5 speeds should be pretty much interchageable, there are a few people who have done this...(run a OHV trans behind the SOHC)

i thought i read somewhere that the ohv and sohc had slightly different bellhousing patterns. thats one of the main reasons for an ohv swap, being able to use one of the million readily available standard transmisons out there. but if they are the same i'll start collecting parts for a 5-stick swap. just need to know where i can get my "automatic delete" program from, or if i could get away with an ecm from a sohc 5stk vehical.

could you drop some names on those who have ohv trannies behind the sohc?

DOUG of Bama chips for one..
the bolt patterns are different if memory serves but can still work....

if/when i get around to a 5 speed swap i'll be sure to take 100 pics. the biggest problem with working on my ex is downtime, is my dd and unless i can get a week off again i'll be bumming rides.

you talked me out of an ohv swap, congrats. i gues 1 bolt hole off isnt to bad since im not looking for massive amounts of torque or super low race times.

You should see the list of ideas I have talked myself out of!

Back