• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 questions

KazeSupra

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
Still looking...
Hey guys. New guy here seriously considering buying a '97+ Explorer 4x4 with the SOHC V6. I've done a lot of research, including calling a dealership to check out information on transmissions. I had a couple of questions.

First, anyone who's gotten GOOD (relative to other 4x4 SUVs) gas milage with a SOHC V6 Eddie Bauer or Limited 4x4, please post what you're getting, and how you got there.

Second, if you get an XL or an XLT, you can get the optional SOHC V6, but it comes with the 4-spd automatic instead of the 5-spd (confirmed by Ford service person). You have to get the Limited or the Eddie Bauer in order to get the 5-spd (or swap one in, but we'll just say the 4 spd for now). Can anyone with an XL or XLT with the SOHC V6 (4-spd) comment on good gas milage numbers, and how you got there (remember, I'm talking about the 4x4, I'm in Ohio ;) )

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok... it all depends on the driving conditions.. but I would say i average about 260 miles/tank if i run it basically dry, but i don't like to do that...I usually fill up at a quarter tank which brings me around 220-230 miles if i'm driving easy.. I have the SOHC v6 a4, XLT.. i really enjoy it.. i have the 4x4 as well and got around in this snow blizzard we just had (i'm from southern indiana).. i had NO trouble with getting stuck at all.. i have a lot more respect for the explorer after this snow storm.. granite its no cadillac and you will have small annoying things/noises.. here and there but with a little work you can minimize those annoyances.. anymore questions let me know..

josh

well all sohc have the 5speed automatic (i have one myself) and i usually get about 280 miles to a tank of gas

Correct me if im wrong but the 97 XLT sorta has a 5 speed. I say sorta because it has a "fake" second gear......Something with the tourqe converter and making high RPms to simulate a second gear. I'm pretty sure that i read this in when of Brains threads. "the tranny genuis" :) And the gas mileage isnt that bad. But like gensic11 said, its gotten me through some DEEP snowstorms here in PA.

aldive, don't you ahve the 4x2? I wish I could cope, but I'm not risking it in this weather.

Billy177, I confirmed with Ford's service department that unless the engine was standard, which it was only in the Eddie Bauer or the Limited, then you didn't get the 5spd, only the 4spd. The 5 spd is only in the EB and the Limited.

i am sorry but you are that dealer is dead wrong all the sohc's came with a 5speed transmission

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but is there some place that has it in writing? Which transmission goes with which engine in which car? If that information was available, then my questions would be answered.

Also, can anyone post their good gas milage for a SOHC 4x4 (I'm thinking towards 20 on the highway), and how they got there? Thanks.

98 XLT 4WD SOHC with 5R55E 5 speed

And I get 19.5 mpg on the highway and 325 miles easy on a tank without cutting it too close. I've recently replaced plugs, plug wires, cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. The engine has 104K miles on it and runs perfectly. 32psi in the tires. I believe all SOHC's got the 5 speed auto trans.

Mine has the 5 speed it. I know, it's been replaced twice! :mad:

Joe

KazeSupra said:
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, but is there some place that has it in writing? Which transmission goes with which engine in which car? If that information was available, then my questions would be answered.

Also, can anyone post their good gas milage for a SOHC 4x4 (I'm thinking towards 20 on the highway), and how they got there? Thanks.

Those of us with the 5 speed know it by the VIN info tag on our doors. Mine is the 4.0 OHV, its an XLT, and I have the 5R55E.

So how would I know by looking at the VIN tag whether or not it's a 5 speed auto? That would definitely open up my options when going to purchase mine soon. Thanks.

Look on the cert. label on the drivers door for the transmission code. There should be the letters TR on top, and if it has the letter D beneath, it should be a five speed automatic.

My 97 XLT SOHC is a 5 speed and my best gas mileage has been 28.8mpg (all highway and before lift). Normally, I get about 18-20 mpg with mixed city/highway driving. I'm pretty sure all SOHCs come with the 5 speeds.

Awesome information guys. I will definitely be checking them out when I start looking for one. Thanks.

I have a 97 XLT five speed, looked in the ford book, and found out all XLTs are 5 speeds

I can't remember if I've ever seen an SOHC with a four speed.

Back