SOHC V6 Supercharger | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 Supercharger

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the design and possible development and installation of a supercharger for my 2000 Sport SOHC V6 engine. I have no first hand experience with forced induction systems and want to learn from forum members that have them on their vehicles. While I don't plan to implement a turbocharger system, there are many problems common to all types of forced induction systems.

The easiest and least expensive solution would be to modify a Ranger SOHC V6 Banshee kit and purchase a used Thunderbird supercoupe positive displacement blower. However, the kit makes no provisions for an aftercooler which I think is beneficial even with only 5 psi of boost.

The Explorer Express supercharger kit includes a quality looking manifold but one is very difficult to obtain.
sc1.jpg

Once again, there are no provisions for an aftercooler.

I suspect the best solution for me would be a centrifugal supercharger with a water aftercooler. With my oil coolers and remote filters I have very little room in front of the radiator for an intercooler. I am interested in a boost in the range of 5 to 8 psi - enough for a significant performance increase but not so much to adversely impact reliability and require beefing up of engine internals or the transmission/torque converter.

Procharger sells a kit for the 2005 - 2010 Mustang V6.
MustangSC.jpg

But the Mustang configuration is opposit to the Explorer - intake on left and battery on right. Also, there is a lot more room between the engine front and the radiator rear on the Mustang than on the Explorer.

Vortech also makes a kit for the Mustang but there are the same problems.
MustangSCV.jpg

MustangSCV2.jpg

The logical location for a centrifugal supercharger is the same side as the air filter box and intake manifold inlet port. Unfortunately, that is where the alternator is located. I'm investigating the possibility of replacing the belt driven power steering pump with an electric motor driven pump and then relocating the alternator to the old power steering pump location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

condensor

lol
fans are good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or I could convert my A/C condenser - just kidding. I think I'm going to try adding a fan to see what effect it has.

I use my ac condenser for a tranny cooler in my big truck.before that I had a 8" pusher mounted on a aftermarket cooler.

I use my ac condenser for a tranny cooler in my big truck.before that I had a 8" pusher mounted on a aftermarket cooler.

Have you done enough towing with that truck to judge what size ATF cooler is best for towing with, for the 4500lbs Explorers?

I'm sure the SD cooler I have yet to install is more than enough, but I wonder how much less would still be very good.

Ford Explorer Inlet Adapter Installation question?

Yesterday I thought I was ready to install the new fuel injectors into the heads. Unfortunately, I forgot to remove the fuel injector adapters (insulators/seals) from the old injectors.
View attachment 76100
Even though they were not cracked or broken on the old injectors, because of drying out from the engine heat, every one of them cracked or broke when I pryed them off the injector O rings. I was tempted to apply RTV to the cracks and breaks and reuse them. But then I realized that with the supercharger the adapters would be exposed to the maximum boost (planned 8 psi) and could easily leak. The O ring seals against the adapter that seals against the injector bore in the head. So I ordered six new ones (PN F77Z-9G512-AA, Adapter Fuel Injection). I hope Tasca Parts ships by tonight so I might get them Monday.

I planned to install the injectors and fuel rails before the Banshee intake manifold base because of the easier access. I called the machine shop yesterday and my fabricated fuel pressure/temperature adapter block still isn't done so I can't connect the fuel rails at the rear of the engine. I want to complete the fuel system and install the Banshee intake manifold base before completing the engine wiring harness. The wiring will have to be routed outboard of the fuel system.

I noticed you had a great picture of the insulators/adapters on the injector. My problem is that 4 of the 6 were sealing just fine with new o-rings as I prepared to finish a gasket/seal replacement on this Ford. Here is my problem...I can't find anywhere on the internet or local shops that have any experience or knowledge on installing them. Some may think by pictures that you simple place it on the injector and install fuel rail. Some will not realize or know how to remove the old ones from the head. This is my problem. I plan to use heat today and heat them up and try to get them out. I will stuff the intake with rags and maybe even pull a bit of the rag UP the injector tunnel and then vacuum up the debris before I remove the rag. I have no idea how to get this done and no idea whether to place the seal on the injector dry and insert or to as the local Ford Dealer said and my probable route....remove old ones, clean the bore and then install with silicone before placing injectors and rails onto intake. Any insights will be taken seriously before I attempt this. Please respond as soon as you can. Tks

insulator removal/installation

Unfortunately, my workshop manual describes removal and installation of the injector O rings (use clean engine oil) but has nothing about the insulators. The insulators dry out and become brittle with age. You might try a paint can opener to extract them. It has a lip to catch the bottom of the insulator. I think I tapped mine in to seat them using a socket on a short extension and a small, lightweight hammer.

That sounds about right.

I plan to warm them up with small butane torch a few inches away after I block the path for debris to fall in. Then I will either flip them out as you described or take an awl (carefully) and go down behind on one side and either destroy that side and then fold the rest in....or try and flip it out that way. Should be lots of fun times 6...ha.

For the install I plan to put a very small and light coat of high temp silicone on the back side and then carefully insert with correct sized deep well as you described.

Thanks for the insight.

Back