SOHC V6 Supercharger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 Supercharger

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the design and possible development and installation of a supercharger for my 2000 Sport SOHC V6 engine. I have no first hand experience with forced induction systems and want to learn from forum members that have them on their vehicles. While I don't plan to implement a turbocharger system, there are many problems common to all types of forced induction systems.

The easiest and least expensive solution would be to modify a Ranger SOHC V6 Banshee kit and purchase a used Thunderbird supercoupe positive displacement blower. However, the kit makes no provisions for an aftercooler which I think is beneficial even with only 5 psi of boost.

The Explorer Express supercharger kit includes a quality looking manifold but one is very difficult to obtain.
sc1.jpg

Once again, there are no provisions for an aftercooler.

I suspect the best solution for me would be a centrifugal supercharger with a water aftercooler. With my oil coolers and remote filters I have very little room in front of the radiator for an intercooler. I am interested in a boost in the range of 5 to 8 psi - enough for a significant performance increase but not so much to adversely impact reliability and require beefing up of engine internals or the transmission/torque converter.

Procharger sells a kit for the 2005 - 2010 Mustang V6.
MustangSC.jpg

But the Mustang configuration is opposit to the Explorer - intake on left and battery on right. Also, there is a lot more room between the engine front and the radiator rear on the Mustang than on the Explorer.

Vortech also makes a kit for the Mustang but there are the same problems.
MustangSCV.jpg

MustangSCV2.jpg

The logical location for a centrifugal supercharger is the same side as the air filter box and intake manifold inlet port. Unfortunately, that is where the alternator is located. I'm investigating the possibility of replacing the belt driven power steering pump with an electric motor driven pump and then relocating the alternator to the old power steering pump location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Driver vs passenger side

As I mentioned previously it would be difficult to fit a centrifugal supercharger on the driver side of the engine.
SCDrvr.jpg

There isn't a lot more room on the passenger side.
SCPsgr.jpg

Some space can be gained by reducing the size of the radiator coolant and windshield washer reservoirs. The 2004 Explorer has a significantly different intake manifold.
04Intake1.jpg

It would require relocation of the EGR pipe which might be necessary anyway if the alternator is moved to the driver side. The manifold intake port might end up near the current A/C receiver drier location. I need to find a photo of a 2004 engine compartment.

Just use a m90 and make your own ic or just run w/m.im sure you have seen mine,its a 3800 m90 tho so its all custom built

ic1.jpg

ic2.jpg

ic3.jpg

HE mount
icf3.jpg

icf4.jpg

embarrassing admission

Just use a m90 and make your own ic or just run w/m.im sure you have seen mine,its a 3800 m90 tho so its all custom built . . .

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't paid much attention to your posted threads because they pertain to a 1st generation OHV V6. Thanks for posting the photos of your intercooler setup to catch my interest. I quickly looked thru your 3800 M90 build thread and found it quite interesting. I will go back thru it reading in detail. It has a lot of very useful information. It was clever of you to use the SOHC block girdle on the OHV.

Have you measured the effectiveness of your intercooler? Is your IAT sensor located below the intercooler? What flow rate electric water pump are you using for the intercooler?

M90 Intake

The M90 main intake port is at the rear of the assembly.
M90TBird.jpg

The stock supercoupe intake manifold extends farther to the rear and around to the driver side.
M90Intake.jpg

Is it possible to get adequate clearance between the firewall and the intake manifold and yet not have the snout pulley too far forward? It looks like it would be a tight fit even with a custom intake manifold.
The Banshee supercharger kit for the Ranger SOHC has a custom lower and upper intake.
BansheeSC.jpg

BansheeIntake.jpg

I think I've read that the Explorer has less room between the engine and firewall than the Ranger and those that try to use the kit run into clearance problems.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't paid much attention to your posted threads because they pertain to a 1st generation OHV V6. Thanks for posting the photos of your intercooler setup to catch my interest. I quickly looked thru your 3800 M90 build thread and found it quite interesting. I will go back thru it reading in detail. It has a lot of very useful information. It was clever of you to use the SOHC block girdle on the OHV.

Have you measured the effectiveness of your intercooler? Is your IAT sensor located below the intercooler? What flow rate electric water pump are you using for the intercooler?

yea there is ALOT of info and ALOT of rambling in my thread.im doing more than just the sc so its taking forever:(

i personally havent but its a ic from zzperformance and they have.its a ic for the gm 3800 sc cars.they make two different ones,i wish i could have afforded the thicker one.yes my iat is below my ic.im running a stock Bosch ic pump,flows 9gpm at 12 volts nonrestrictive,it flows 5gpm with my ic and setup.

The M90 main intake port is at the rear of the assembly.
View attachment 69388
The stock supercoupe intake manifold extends farther to the rear and around to the driver side.
View attachment 69389
Is it possible to get adequate clearance between the firewall and the intake manifold and yet not have the snout pulley too far forward? It looks like it would be a tight fit even with a custom intake manifold.
The Banshee supercharger kit for the Ranger SOHC has a custom lower and upper intake.
View attachment 69390
View attachment 69391
I think I've read that the Explorer has less room between the engine and firewall than the Ranger and those that try to use the kit run into clearance problems.

well for starters the supercoupe m90 is mounted upside down so it normally comes out the passenger side.have you looked at the rpcaster kits?people have made ic for them pretty easily.i havent heard of any clearance issues
http://www.ranger-forums.com/showthread.php?t=115757

knock sensor, injector wiring harness?

Thanks for posting that link. It looks like the plenum bolts directly to the heads.
Plenum.jpg

If so, then what about the knock sensor and the injector wiring harness?
HEADSTP1.JPG

A new injector wiring harness could be built but I would hate to lose the knock sensor - it is even more important with forced induction.
KnockSensor.jpg

From the above photo it looks like there is no problem with the knock sensor because it is lower than the head ports.
From the photo in the first post it looks like the Explorer Express plenum allowed retention of the knock sensor and stock injector wiring harness.

It does look like there is room for an intercooler inside that manifold, if you can find something close to that size and weld it in place.

It does look like there is room for an intercooler inside that manifold, if you can find something close to that size and weld it in place.

That first pic on post #9 is a modified manifold that has a ic.you can see the lines for it.its a manifold that some one over on ranger power sports modified.

Also, with low boost, there really is no need for an intercooler as the pressure isn't high enough to create much heat.
I will be installing my M90 in a couple of weeks, and have my iat sensor post blower. I will be able to report back to you the temps that are reported back to the pcm using sct logging software. I hope im right. :)

Also, with low boost, there really is no need for an intercooler as the pressure isn't high enough to create much heat.
I will be installing my M90 in a couple of weeks, and have my iat sensor post blower. I will be able to report back to you the temps that are reported back to the pcm using sct logging software. I hope im right. :)

A ic is ALLWAYS good.any amount of boost will cause heat,you can tune and adjust for it but when you do you lose potential power especially with a roots style.

Yes, the cooler the air the better, but.....
Space might be an issue.
complexity/hp gain might be an issue.
Added cost/hp gained might be an issue.

JD, your building a monster motor and looking for all power possible. This might be a trade odd for some (Me, for example). I'll be making sure I take all measurements of my blower intake manifold before installation, just in case I decide to go this route in the future. As it sits, I'm hoping I will be happy with the results without the intercooler.

Ah, the debate goes on....Sorry for the back and fourth in your thread 2000StreetRod, I guess all I can do is post my findings when the m90's actually working.

Without question, JD is going the best route, using a intercooler.

lower intake manifold

Im pretty sure it bolts to your ontop of your stock lower manifold.Im sure both are kept.send him a email.

The lower intake manifold is made of plastic and would not be strong enough to mount the M90 plenum to even if it fit - which is doesn't.
LWRFRT.JPG

awaiting results

. . . I will be installing my M90 in a couple of weeks, and have my iat sensor post blower. I will be able to report back to you the temps that are reported back to the pcm using sct logging software. . .

Those datalog results will be very useful. Please note the ambient air temperature for the time of your datalog.

usable room

I saw a write up by someone who put a turbo in a ranger and they moved the battery to the back and that opened up a boat load of space.

I've never liked the idea of mounting a heavy, corrosive acid battery in the passenger compartment. Mounting it in the back of a truck bed is safer but long cables result in larger resistance which is not negligible for the high currents required to crank a starter. Besides, I'm not sure how usable the space is that far from the crankshaft. It could be used for intake plumbing or an aftercooler but probably not for a belt driven supercharger. A supercharger pulley probably requires at least 180 degrees of belt wrap to avoid slipping. I don't see how a pulley in that area would be compatible with the stock belt configuration.
BeltPath.jpg

Two idler pulleys would probably be needed.
BatPul.jpg

The battery area would be a possible location for an electric power steering pump.

The lower intake manifold is made of plastic and would not be strong enough to mount the M90 plenum to even if it fit - which is doesn't.
View attachment 69475

Yea your right.its the ohv kit that mounts on the lower.the knock sensor looks like it still would work.i didnt think the Explorer express kit was available anymore? Looks like the rangers are a little different, maybe you couod use an ranger injector harness
PreSC_c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couldn't you just take the fuel rails off of a junk yard motor and use them? I think on rpcasters web site there is a small blurb with pictures as to what was done to an sohc explorer to make the kit fit. Looked pretty easy.

Back