SOHC V6 tuning | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 tuning

need more IC cooling

It appears that my larger IC heat exchanger with fan has helped some but not enough. Below is a moderate pull (TP=620 at cursor) from 0 to 50 mph on a warm day.
IAT9.2.jpg

The lowest cruise IAT I logged was 132. I'm losing about 2 deg of spark advance due to IAT.
IATSpark9.2.jpg

I'm tempted to eliminate my engine oil thermostat and convert the engine oil cooler to an additional IC heat exchanger. The engine oil temperature never gets hot enough for the 215 deg F thermostat to open the cooler path anyway.

AFR under control

I've finally reached the point where I'm fairly satisfied with the AFR results. Below is the graph of a WOT pull in 1st from 3600 to 6000 rpm.
AFRWOT9.4.jpg

The actual lambda averages to about .82 (12.00:1) which is what I want at this time using up to 10% ethanol premium fuel. For closed loop I adjusted the MTF for MAF AD Counts less than 270 to increase the richness which brought the STFTs to an average of between .95 and 1.05. So now I can start adjusting the spark. It was a cool morning so even though the IAT climbed 32 deg F it only reached 122 deg F so there was only 1.5 degrees of spark retard due to IAT and no knock sensor retard.
SparkWOT9.4.jpg

The max load was 1.33 which is barely below the max of 1.35 in my Borderline Knock Table. The max MAF AD Count was 880 at 5980 rpm and should be accurate. That is well below the max (1024) for my Lightning 90 mm MAF sensor.

Back