SOHC V6 tuning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC V6 tuning

Pro Racer Package?

How do you get access ?
I've joined the forum but can't read anything
I get no response to the email to the moderator.

Did you purchase an SCT Pro Racer software package? The SCT Pro Racer forum is only for SCT Pro Racer users. I had to call SCT in order to get access to their forum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TP Relative

Do you know the difference between
TP and TP_Counts ?
The Base Fuel Map has TP while the Fuel Open Loop TP uses TP_Counts
thanx

I think the value referenced in the Base Fuel Table and the Fuel Open Loop TP table is Throttle Position Relative to Closed Throttle.

Yes I have a full license to the pro racer SW.
I have only emailed due to the time of day I'm able to do such things.
I may have to try calling if I get no where next week.

thanx

Yes I can envisiage what the diferent text means but when it comes to explicit calculations what does one use ?

If closed throttle is 210 AD counts and Max throttle is 960 AD Counts and max AD Counts is 1023.

Q1 how does the ECU ever know what Max Throttle is ?

Does TP or Relative Throttle Position = (Current TP_Counts - Closed TP_Counts ) / 1023.

My livelink PID set does not provide any thing but throttle AD Counts.

While I haven't been watching the boost gauge as much as I should (I've been paying more attention to the wideband AFR gauges) the max boost I've noticed so far is about 6 psi. That is less than my anticipated 8 psi with the 2.7 inch dia. pulley. One possible reason is my high flow exhaust system. Another possibility (and more likely) is excess clearance between the M90 rotors and the housing. When I finally sell my Volvo and buy a 4 door Explorer I'll probably have my M90 rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one. Last week I asked the manager of the auto shop with the dyno when I could do some testing and he said maybe the end of this week. On the dyno I don't have to worry about road conditions - I only have to watch AFR and boost. I'm a long way from an optimized tune but my seat-of-the-pants accelerometer indicates a significant performance improvement from the M90 installation.

If you are using a STD oval inlet M90 I understand that you will be challenged to get enough air into the blower to need to worry about rotors clearance (or coating) and or getting much more that 7psi

NA optimised Spark Curve

Does anyone have a WOT Spark Curve for a well tuned NA SOHC 4.0 ?
Would you care to show

thanx

Relative TP

. . . If closed throttle is 210 AD counts and Max throttle is 960 AD Counts and max AD Counts is 1023.
Q1 how does the ECU ever know what Max Throttle is ?
Does TP or Relative Throttle Position = (Current TP_Counts - Closed TP_Counts ) / 1023.
My livelink PID set does not provide any thing but throttle AD Counts.

The PCM just subtracts the stored closed throttle value from the current TPS reading to get the relative TP. Throttle AD Counts is the raw data read by the analog-to-digital (AD) converter. The maximum value (1023) is the limit of the converter due to the number of bits. Some scanners provide TPS data in percent of max value (i.e. closed throttle = 190/1023 or 18%). My X3 reads and displays the actual value (i.e. closed throttle Absolute TP = 190 or Relative TP = 0). I have verified by datalogging that my PCM strategy uses relative TP for open loop and WOT. Yours may be different. You can find out by datalogging.

My Base Fuel Table has a TP range of 100 to 700. If your TP range is similar then I assume the entries are for Relative TP.

borderline knock tables

Does anyone have a WOT Spark Curve for a well tuned NA SOHC 4.0 ?
Would you care to show
thanx

You should have value files available for Ranger and Explorer SOHC V6 for 87, 91 and 93 octane fuel. The value file for 87 octane is probably the same Borderline Knock Table as your stock tune. The 91 and 93 value files should have more advanced spark tables. My PCM strategy uses the least advance from the borderline knock and max allowed spark tables. You may have to modify both tables. Be cautious if using the 93 octane borderline knock table if you have 87 octane fuel in the tank.

The PCM just subtracts the stored closed throttle value from the current TPS reading to get the relative TP. Throttle AD Counts is the raw data read by the analog-to-digital (AD) converter. The maximum value (1023) is the limit of the converter due to the number of bits. Some scanners provide TPS data in percent of max value (i.e. closed throttle = 190/1023 or 18%). My X3 reads and displays the actual value (i.e. closed throttle Absolute TP = 190 or Relative TP = 0). I have verified by datalogging that my PCM strategy uses relative TP for open loop and WOT. Yours may be different. You can find out by datalogging.

My Base Fuel Table has a TP range of 100 to 700. If your TP range is similar then I assume the entries are for Relative TP.

Yes my base fuel table has the same scale 100 to 700 which I assume is 10% thru to 70%. This is one of the things I have been trying to confirm - thanx.

I only have one item related to throttle position with "LiveLink" Throttle AD and Closed Throttle AD - thus I did not have enough data confirm what you have documented above.

My processor FBHO and associated strategy has a small set of PIDs - or I got more to learn about getting access to the data.

You should have value files available for Ranger and Explorer SOHC V6 for 87, 91 and 93 octane fuel. The value file for 87 octane is probably the same Borderline Knock Table as your stock tune. The 91 and 93 value files should have more advanced spark tables. My PCM strategy uses the least advance from the borderline knock and max allowed spark tables. You may have to modify both tables. Be cautious if using the 93 octane borderline knock table if you have 87 octane fuel in the tank.

So this proves I've not mastered loading images

Above is what I'm using for 91 (e10)
450 is about 8 in of HG which is similar to the top line of the 91 file from SCT.
525 is about 1 in of HG
600 about 1 psi

It seems quite low - is the combustion chamber really so good ?

Stock it always had part throttle knock.
I am puzzled why it only gets to about 60% VE at WOT NA.
So I not sure what to make of any of the stock border Knock tables except that at WOT it uses the top line.

Some things are not ringing true - so I asking of others experience, hopefully next week I'm into the SCT Forum. But except for the body we are sharing similar setups.

throttle readings

Yes my base fuel table has the same scale 100 to 700 which I assume is 10% thru to 70%. This is one of the things I have been trying to confirm - thanx.

I only have one item related to throttle position with "LiveLink" Throttle AD and Closed Throttle AD - thus I did not have enough data confirm what you have documented above.

My processor FBHO and associated strategy has a small set of PIDs - or I got more to learn about getting access to the data.

My closed throttle relative TP value is 0 and my WOT relative TP value is 758. That agrees with the TP values in the base fuel table which are not percent max throttle. There are several hundred PIDs available to datalog in my strategy. I do all of my datalogging with my laptop and use the X3 in the pass thru mode.

load vs TP

. . . Above is what I'm using for 91 (e10)
450 is about 8 in of HG which is similar to the top line of the 91 file from SCT.
525 is about 1 in of HG
600 about 1 psi
. . .

Is your knock table indexed by TP? My knock table is indexed by load. Below is the value file for 91 Octane.
91OctaneBorderlineValueFile.jpg

I had a quick search - but how do I load an image in my reply ? does it have to be jpeg ?

Is your knock table indexed by TP? My knock table is indexed by load. Below is the value file for 91 Octane.
View attachment 82475

I got 10 degrees less than you and I think it not correct.
What VE do you get at WOT boosted ?
However given the path you came to your final tune this may not be a valid reference

load calculations

My load calculations are inaccurate because I had to alter the MAF transfer function and engine displacement to achieve my desired lambda. I couldn't achieve my desired AFR by altering just the fuel injector slopes.

My Borderline Knock
0.450 line looks like WOT of the SCT WOT table
I've seen 0.93 VE

0.959 1 2 3 4 7 9 10.5 10.5 9.5 10.5 10.5
0.839 1 2 3 5 8 10 11.5 11.5 10.5 11.5 11.5
0.720 2 3 4 6 9.5 11.5 12.5 13 12 13 13
0.600 4 6 7 9 12 14 15 15 14 15 15
0.525 6 8 10 12 14.5 16.5 18 18.5 17.5 19 19
0.450 10 11 12.5 14.5 17 19 21 21 20 21 21
0.375 16 19.5 22 24 26.5 28.5 30 30.5 30 31 31
0.300 25 27.5 29.5 31.5 34.5 36 36 36 35 36 36
0.151 34 34 34 35 38 40 40 40 39 40 40

very conservative tune

That's a very conservative tune even for a FI engine running 87 octane fuel. Have you changed anything that will affect the load calculation? You have to be very careful that the PCM doesn't calculate a lower than actual load and use a much greater advance from the spark table. I suggest datalogging the load and advance at mid throttle to see what's actually occurring before any WOT testing (especially with boost).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a very conservative tune even for a FI engine running 87 octane fuel. Have you changed anything that will affect the load calculation? You have to be very careful that the PCM doesn't calculate a lower than actual load and use a much greater advance from the spark table. I suggest datalogging the load and advance at mid throttle to see what's actually occurring before any WOT testing (especially with boost).

I never data logged before the blower - so I'm using 0.525 thru 0.600 to be NA.

I added a 250 lph fuel pump
I added 47lb Ford Racing Injectors then put in the SCT values to suit.
When I got near 950 AD counts on the MAF (3 psi) I put in a 90% MAF scaling circuit and appropriately scaled the MAF Transfer ie more air for a reduced voltage.
The engine volume parameter is correct and unchanged from stock.

I have developed that BLN table to bring closed loop ping under control.
It was always a problem NA also.
My fuel usage is unchanged at cruise.
My STFT are showing about 10% trim through out the range.
I can stay closed loop up to 450 TP_ADCounts ie 0.650 VE 2 or 3 psi.
I get ping at about 4500 in 3rd gear WOT I think 1 and 2 accelerate too quick to notice or induce the knock.

I've no cooling and maybe the blower is heating the air thus the "soft" WOT timing.

Nearly every time I start the Advantage SW I get updates for my processor but I cannot tell what is being updated.

I did think 6 psi would get me over 100% VE.

I doesn't all ring true just yet.

Back