SOLD – 2001 Sport DD/trail project w/ extras -- $1,200 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOLD – 2001 Sport DD/trail project w/ extras -- $1,200

Mike's brother

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ithaca, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have to call it on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0L V6 daily driver / trail rig project (see OK, let's get started for more). It's a good machine that runs strong and could be a great everyday ride and surprisingly capable off-road mule.

This is the truck itself, and some of the add-ons that didn't make sense to pull off. I'll create another thread for some of the other parts, including a bunch of stuff that's never been out of the box. I've got to clear some space, so I slashed this to $1,200. Happy to talk package deal for the truck and all the parts with it, if you're looking for the whole project kit.

Very low miles for a 20-year-old rig (107,441), a decent looking body (minus a few rust spots, more below) and a very nice interior. Rides very well with the Rancho shocks, and all-new bushings, bearings and balls joints throughout the suspension. The automatic locker in the rear makes it stunningly good on tough trails.

With a few repairs, this could be a great DD/camping rig. With a little extra effort, this could be an amazing low-cost overlanding platform.

Left side and front.jpeg

Right side and rear.jpeg

Interior driver.jpeg

Interior rear.jpeg

Things worth noting that were added to the truck, all with 15,000 or much less (some never used*) …
  • Aussie automatic rear locker
  • Upgraded Timken “axle saver” rear bearings
  • Upgraded Timken front hubs
  • Rear add-a-leaf
  • Rear shock skid plates
  • Upgraded rear axle u-bolts
  • Rancho 5000-series shocks
  • 3-inch body lift
  • Upgraded spark plug wires
  • Ford overhead console
  • Optima yellow-top battery
  • New alternator
  • Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (all suspension, front* and rear)
  • Upgraded Moog "problem solver" front sway bar links*
  • Upgraded Moog upper control arms and ball joints*
  • Upgraded Moog lower ball joints*
  • Upgraded Moog tie rods, inners and outers, both sides*
  • Thermostat, sensor, housing, hardware*
  • Full synthetic oils (engine*, tranny, transfer case*, front diff*, rear diff)

New parts that are boxed and in the truck …
  • Complete parking brake cables and wheel hardware
  • Rear taillights
  • Rear hatch door struts
  • Extra battery (used, but tested still good)
  • Headlight bulbs
  • Rear body wheel arch
  • Misc extra hoses, belt, etc.
Here are the issues I know need some attention …
  • Needs cat-back exhaust – old pipes got rusty and leaky, so I pulled them off. I planned to replace it with stainless steel. There's a Gibson exhaust still in a box I'll toss in for another $150.
  • Needs rear hatch repair – truck rolled off ramps and open hatch hit the wall above my garage door. Hatch door looks good, but does not open now. I have new tail lights and struts, but hatch door will need some repair.
  • Body rust management – Lots of trimming and grinding rust away, and several rounds of Eastwood treatments and undercoating. Frame has been coated inside and out. Front fenders have been repaired and repainted (needs to be buffed). Still some rust above left side rear wheel well (there is a replacement arch to fix that included).
  • Tires are older. Decent tread left, but two developed a leak at the bead during their time parked.
  • Front, passenger upper control arm adjuster bolt – old one rusted into the upper half of the arm, and broke when the lower half was replaced. Needs to be drilled out and replaced with new bolt.
  • Front bumper reinforcement – I modified the front bumper brackets to make room for a hidden winch installation. I you plan to run with the bumper that's there, I recommend you bolt or weld on some added mount reinforcement.
  • Door locks – Passenger and hatch need to be unfrozen.
If you're looking for a daily driver, this rig is a good weekend's work away. If you want to build out a heck of a trail or overlanding rig, this is a great place to start.

Let me know if you're interested. $1,200 rolls it away.

Happy trails, and thanks to all!

IMG_3102.jpeg

Back