(Sold) Copperhead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(Sold) Copperhead

My registry on my newest addition to the family.

A little history - Shortly after I fixed the A/C in Dark Thunder, the transmission gave out. Things being what they were I donated it to Purple Heart.

In 2014, I found I needed a truck again and purchased a 96 4x4 Club Cap Ram with the 5.9. Interior was crap, but I would tear through anything I threw at it. After having it for a year I traded it in on this bad boy.

2015-09-05%2017.45.43.jpg

2012 Ram 1500
Single Cab Short Bed
5.7L V8 HEMI
2WD

This truck has some big cahones! Launching with this thing is insane. I can light the tires up WITH the traction control on and it pulls hard. I had to get used to the pedal, because my usual force was send me just shy of 3 digits on the speedometer.

Also not a bad toy hauler either.

IMG_20160123_163850.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found out that I now have the infamous cracked exhaust manifold bolts, YAY!

In other news 104,000 miles and still going strong. Earlier this year I maxed out the towing capacity bringing home a flipper Ram 2500, from Austin, temp in the 90's, plus STEEP hills. Hit 190 degrees on the trans temp gauge, but I got it home. Was not a fun ride due to the short bed, but it made it.

That Hemi is a workhorse!

Roll forward to 106.5k miles and the rear axle pinion bearings gave out. Started on my way back from Chicago. A piercing high pitched whine that got worse the faster you went. I have blown enough axles to know that noise (been through one rear axle and two front diffs on my Explorer).

Replacement axles started at $1k with over 100k miles. F*** that! Found an axle complete from disc to disc (including calipers) from a 2015 with a limited slip that was under 8k miles for $600!!. With my tax return now gone, I loaded it up on my hitch carrier on my Explorer (very bad idea, that axle weighs nearly 500lbs!!) and drove it home. Had a bit of fun unloading it by myself (another really, really bad idea) and with the help of a co-worker, had it swapped in that Saturday.

Moral of the story...lift with your legs. :D

I finally put new tires (That are the right size) on it around June of last year and promptly put 3k miles on them! They are the OEM Goodyear Wranglers everybody said were crap, but I think they are excellent. Other than needing new shocks this truck is still bone stock. Don't drive it as much since I have Stripe, but when I crave that extra 230 horses, I'll launch him down the freeway grinning ear to ear.
:burnout:

Sold Copperhead. Got tired of the payments and I was seeing some expensive fixes in the near future. Not really sad to see it go, but I do miss the utility of a truck... :frown:

Back