Solder joints on 1st Gen components | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solder joints on 1st Gen components

pteepee69

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceburg,Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
Howdy. It has been awhile since I have posted. I would like to give thanks to our forum for all the help I have gotten in solving a lot of my issues. My first Gen is far from perfect, but I still love giving it TLC. As anybody that owns one knows, these vehicles have issues. But they are also tough vehicles for what they are.
I have spent lots of money on my '94, but I don't have a monthly vehicle payment. The way I see it is, spend some money at tax time to keep her going another year and I win. I have done a 3" body lift, put 32's on her, new exhaust, manual conversion, rebuilt the top of the 4.0, made a steering shaft eliminating the rags, replaced a MAF when I thought the engine was done, etc., etc.
Something that has started to become repetitive in the last year is aging solder joints. I was having issues with my cruise control. It would work some days all day, some days intermittently, some days not at all. Found some of the same issues on here. My key FAB started becoming harder and harder to use for the security system(I would love to remove this from my Ex). Now, in the last few weeks, I have had issues with 2 different things that are somehow seeming to be related. My wipers quit working on delay and then low speed went until all I had was high. I was letting this go until I could get the time to replace the wiper motor. So, several weeks later, I noticed my heater was working on high, stopped the Ex for about an hour, came back and started to leave and the blower wasn't working. Got to playing with it a few days later, switched some relays and the blower started working on high again. Not thinking about it, the following day it started raining. Went to turn the wipers on high and noticed that the delay and low speed were working again. Does the blower motor relay control the wiper also? When I turn my blower motor on high it is visible, looking at the dash voltmeter, that it is dragging the voltage down. Now, today, my key FAB didn't want to unlock my truck. It would arm but not disarm. The red light on my dash, also, when I hit the arm button, would stay on and not flash, but it would allow me to start the Ex.
Lots of electrical issues lately. Something that is becoming a common issue, solder joints. Took a long time to get to it didn't it. My first venture was with my cruise control module. There is a post regarding this issue on this forum. I happen to have a jewelers magnifying glass that can really get in there so you can see. Just so happens that there were several joints that had broken down over time. I soldered over them and now it is reliable again. My key FAB had become stubborn on disarming the security system. Took it apart and looked at the joints and obvious breaks. Again, break out the soldering iron and solder, repair, reliable. I will investigate the wipers and blower more to see if there is a common connection and if it is related to solder joints. It is known that solder joints deteriorate over time due to thermal fatigue. My point is, find the controller and check the circuit or circuit board for fatigue.

It sounds like you need a new blower motor resistor. As for the wipers, not sure. Could be the switch. Electrical gremlins crop up often because of simple things that are hard to find. My blower motor stopped completely once, it was the relay. It didn't change how the wipers worked.

Is your keyless entry factory or aftermarket? In either case, the fob may need a new battery, or perhaps the contacts in it need cleaning. To disable it (if it's factory), just unplug it. It's located behind the panel on the driver's side, in the cargo area. Alternatively, if you decide to keep that feature, but the fob went to crap, you can get a new fob on ebay pretty cheaply.

Have you considered reflowing the joints by putting the various modules in the oven? Do a google search for further info.

Back