• Register Today It's free!

solenoid/starter prob - urgent

tripp7896

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
this morning i was unable to start my explorer after the major cold last night.. i eventually was able to start it by placing a screwdriver across the posts on my solenoid. i then drove it to auto zone and purchased a new solenoid, started it back up without the screwdriver fine, got home and replaced it. wasn't sure about the 2 wires that weren't connected together and which posts they went on, but one way i get no power to the starter at all, and the other (the right way i believe), it starts fine, plenty of power, but makes the flywheel grind as if i were holding the key in the ON position of the ignition.

btw, the starter and battery are less than a year old but the solenoid was the original.. and i tried putting the old solenoid that was working this morning, and it also makes the grind happen.

please help!

thanks in advance,
steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will teach you to mark the wires

Does it crank on iits own when you connect the battery?
I forget if there are three or four large wires that connect to the large terminals. One terminal should go to the starter. All the rest should go to the terminal that connects to the battery.

Removing the push on wire should stop it in the event it keeps cranking. You have managed to do something that I wouldn't think possible.

So Opera House -- Are you saying you think we wired these things wrong? I have the same problem (see my thread on starter grinding) after changing battery cables and so on.

I DID mark the wires and I am pretty sure (99%) that they are right.

Tripp -- if you find a solution, PLEASE let me know through here, PM, or e-mail (stealthcb@falconbroadband.net). I REALLY need my X up and running...

OK, I started it and the WD-40 did nothing. Still grinding. Not trying to turn it over, just not retracting I think.

Also tried removing the push-on wire during start -- no effect.

mine is fixed.. was wired wrong on the solenoid relay. the small red one that goes to the starter needs to be on a post by itself, and the other 3 on the other post.

Roger that. Will try.

OK...I'm an idiot. I will never perform electrical stuff again.

Labeling the wires does NO GOOD if you label them wrong.

Tripp, please slap me next time I try anything with wiring, OK?

Thanks, man!

lol, that's what i'm saying.. i thought for sure i paid attention when i took em off. but hey.. at least we're up and running. =D

What likely happened was the wire from the alternator output was placed on the lug of the fender relay/solenoid that went to the solenoid on the starter. When the engine started, the alternator provided power to engage the solenoid on the starter.

Back