Solid axle ?'s | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle ?'s

I have decided to skip the lift kits and go with the solid axle swap. I am in the planning stages of the swap. I would like to lift it to about 4 or 5 inches. I Know a guy that builds and modifies 79 Broncos. He sold me a Dana 44 out of a 79 Bronco and told me he can get me every part of the 79 Bronco suspension for cheap. Is this a reverse rotation 44? I am wondering if anyone can help me, by making a list of parts or telling me what I would need. Should I go with leafs or Coils in the front? Do I need the radius arms, Coil brackets? How would I get it to be about 4 or 5 inches all the way around? How would i get the most flex? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you dont have a good pic of how you cut them do you??
:confused:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

how much would a reverse Dana 44 cost , and how much drop can you get with the RA brackets?

expobronc,
I am not sure if I have a pic or not I will have to look.
I did take some pic, I remember Rick used to ask everyone to take pics and post them, but mine got into the pile of junk on hte desk and that was that.
I will look around to see if I can find something.

If I remember, it was not too much of a problem. Once aligned and the bolt holes drilled for placement, all I did was start cutting a little at a time. You can fudge a line in and then trim to fit. Keep it tight and weld all points to stablize the coil spring bucket.

I used the original holes in the X's frame for alignment.

I believe that you will find the size of the Early Bronco bucket to be the same as the X but bent a little different and the Early Bronco takes a larger diameter spring.

Good Luck,
:usa: :chug: :ca:

Cool thanks, i get my axle cut on monday, but hey one more quickie,

how do i get the inner axle seals out?? pesky little buggers

???

Also - correct cut down size is 5.85" to get an EB axle into the long side of a 78/79 d44 axle housing. Found it on Warn's site

I'm confused about the proper amount to cut the axle to use a EB shaft if original breaks. Per tdavis it is 5.85". That gets it down to the 61-71 EB length, but they are 27 spline (not 30 like the 79 F-150 D44).

Am I missing something?

Re: ???

Originally posted by CHH777

I'm confused about the proper amount to cut the axle to use a EB shaft if original breaks. Per tdavis it is 5.85". That gets it down to the 61-71 EB length, but they are 27 spline (not 30 like the 79 F-150 D44).

Am I missing something?

Go here: Dead Link Removed

and look for 71-77 Ford Bronco.
Your cutting down from 68-79 Ford Pickup, Full size Bronco.

It's the right side, so:

(year, model, length, spline, u-joint, part #)
68-79 Ford Pickup, Full Size Bronco, (right) 33.91 30 297x 39144
71-77 Ford Bronco (right) 27.94 30 297x 33810

So, 33.91-27.94 = 5.97" inches.

Cut 5.97" off and you can use 71-77 Bronco right side shafts, and a 68-79 Fullsize left side shaft.

Of course, I make no guarantee this is correct; it's up to you and the person cutting down the axle to make sure that happens.

Got it

Thanks for the reply. So if I cut the pass. side down 5.97" will radius arms match up with the holes in the stock 79 drop brackets mounted to the Explorer frame?

ok so what is the easiest and cheapest way to narrow a fullsize 9 inch out of a 79 truck? looking for the least amount of custom parts. like axle shafts and such.

Ummmmm can I get one of you guys to reply here or e-mail me on something.

What I want to know is if you could do it all over again what would you change? Like the amount you cut out, coil springs you used, radius arm set-up, or even coil-overs. I just need the good stuff. Like tdavis, with your bein a daily driver. Is there anything you would have done different with your set-up?? Let me know guys!!!

studdedx@explorerforum.com

I'm happy with cutting 6".
I'm glad I used a 79 axle and cut it, instead of an EB axle.
I'm very happy with the Duff EB coils, very happy.
I'm happy I moved the axle forward 1".
I wish I had done a tierod over steering in the first place, this is now on the list of to-do's.
I wish I had used EB coil buckets and F250 shock towers when I did the swap, I'll be retrofitting both items this spring.
I'll also be retrofitting a swaybar, my coils are just too soft for mountain highways...
I'll also be wristing a radius arm soon...

5.5" of lift, 35's with fender trimming, great setup.

Cheers
Dale

Dale,

Are F250 shock towers for two shocks per side?

finally got my axle housing back today after having it cut down... now i think i'll get the rear end together with new shafts, brakes, and gears:hammer:

I was looking over at the Ranger station and read that a 9 inch out of 73 and later trucks can not be shortened. Is this true?

Originally posted by CHH777
Dale,

Are F250 shock towers for two shocks per side?

No, they look like this...

Dead Link Removed

Hey you guys that have done this, please help me out quick. I want to start prepping for this tomarrow, attaching the RA brackets, fabbing up a track bar mount etc, but my delima is the x-member on the passenger side... its right where i want to put my RA bracket. What did you guys do to get around this?? I was thinking of cutting it then welding it to my RA bracket. i wanted to keep this bolt up but not sure there is any other way... thanks guys, oh and pics would be great if you could! :D

So how did you all go about cutting down the housing? I have heard of 3 different ways so far and want to know what you guys did, Tell me how it was done. Did you do it yourself or did you have a shop do it? If a shop did it what did you pay to have it done?

Thanks

i had a shop do mine. it ran me 125 and i'm totally pleased with the results. I bought the axle for 125 and had it cut for 125. 250 for a high pinion dana 44... not too shabby

How did they cut it? Which end did they cut from? the knuckle end or housing end? A shop here wants 350 to have it cut down.

I'm having the long axle tube removed from the pig, cut down 6" and machined to accept the seal.

Ok so what would be the easiest way to run Fullsize axles, Coils or Leafs? Ideas or opinions are welcome. If leafs what kinda leafs and what size leafs? I'm looking for about 8 to 10 inches opf lift. Ihave access to a fully equiped shop where I will more then likely bedoing this at, all kinds of equipment available.

Back