Solid axle ?'s | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid axle ?'s

I have decided to skip the lift kits and go with the solid axle swap. I am in the planning stages of the swap. I would like to lift it to about 4 or 5 inches. I Know a guy that builds and modifies 79 Broncos. He sold me a Dana 44 out of a 79 Bronco and told me he can get me every part of the 79 Bronco suspension for cheap. Is this a reverse rotation 44? I am wondering if anyone can help me, by making a list of parts or telling me what I would need. Should I go with leafs or Coils in the front? Do I need the radius arms, Coil brackets? How would I get it to be about 4 or 5 inches all the way around? How would i get the most flex? Any advice would be greatly helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by RVZFloydian
Just a thought, Since most figure they'll get new wheels, why not get wheels with the correct backspacing to "suck up" some of the width of a full-width 44? That should help keep the tires under the wheelwells.:D :rolleyes:

i believe if you have a rim with to much back spacing it can hurt the bearings in the axle.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thats a very good point, but take a look at all the vehicles running around from the factory with "flatfaced" wheels on them. Besides, a fullsized 44 should be able tohandle the stress fine. They're tough old axles.:thumbsup: :D

Joe93,
How's things coming along ?

What Radius Arms did you use ?

A buddy of mine just did the swap but in a Bronco II, over the weekend.
He used the 79 Radius Arms because of the coil spring usage. Seems that the '79 coils are smaller in diameter than the early bronco and the radius mounting allow the use of a smaller diameter coil spring, similar to the "X". So if you use the '79 Bronco radius arms then you could use an "X's" stock diameter coils and would not have to worry about hte coil bucket fitting the spring.

Just something I came accross.

Good Luck,
:usa: :chug: :ca:

I would have to disagree. The Explorer coils measure 4.75" in diameter. The early Bronco, and 78-79 Bronco both use 5" diameter coils. I am using early bronco coil springs in 78-79 coil bucket seats with upper early bronco coils. Everything fits.

As far as the wheels go, I am currently running 3 inches of backspacing with 35x1250 tires, and they are already rubbing on the radius arms. If you attempted to use a wheel with, say 7" of backspacing, I doubt it would even fit, much less allow you enough roon to turn your tires. I only have about an inch and a half clearance between the tires and the coils. Also, your hubs would likely be protruding out well beyond the protection range of your wheels and tires.

I think they taper in at the bottom portion of the spring.
Are the radius arms 78-79?
Are the coil spring cups 78-79?

I believe that is where the problem arose, I used EB Buckets on my Navajo frame and early Bronco radius arms and spring cups on the axle.

Worked out well.

Originally posted by Sandy
I think they taper in at the bottom portion of the spring.
Are the radius arms 78-79?
Are the coil spring cups 78-79?

Yes and yes, yet the early Bronco coils still fit. So I couldn't see how the early bronco coil seats could be of a different size than the 78-79 versions, since my EB coils fit in the 78-79 seats, whereas the explorer coils could not.

Gears

I'm in the process of gathering my parts to swap the EB D44, out of a 75 Bronco into my Ranger. I have disc brake knuckles, the arms, and pretty much all I need, but I need to know what rotation I need to get for this setup, I have no idea, it's a low pinion axle, going to be turned by the stock Man. BW 1354, I think it's standard, but want to clarify before I order the gears. Also, anyone know where to find new radius arm to frame brackets for this swap?
Thanks

cool, thanks

ok I know this is in here somewhere but after working 13 hrs today and reading this for two I am ready for something simple!!!!

How much lift will I get if I run my stupidlift 5.5 springs with a EB dana 44???

thanks alot Mudd*****, long time no talk to! Hows the texas gang and Vegas too!

Originally posted by offroader_69_me
ok I know this is in here somewhere but after working 13 hrs today and reading this for two I am ready for something simple!!!!

How much lift will I get if I run my stupidlift 5.5 springs with a EB dana 44???

1. don't use your TTB springs with a SAS, much too stiff
2. I got about 6" from my James Duff 3.5" coils for an Early Bronco

Cheers
Dale

I also got about 6" of lift from my WH 3.5"VR EB coils.

Hey tiessen do you have a write up on what you did with your steering? I know someone that thinks they want to go the same way with the steering as you did.

Originally posted by RangerG
I also got about 6" of lift from my WH 3.5"VR EB coils.

Hey tiessen do you have a write up on what you did with your steering? I know someone that thinks they want to go the same way with the steering as you did.

My steering is different now...

but my original setup was factory Ford knuckles, factory Ford tierod cut down 6" and rethreaded, factory Ford draglink cut down and threaded for my Dana 35 tierod adjustment sleeve, using a Dana 35 tierod on the pitman arm.

Now I've moved my tierod on top of the steering arm using BCBronco inserts and Chevy 1 ton TRE's and a custom tierod.

Okay, I'm getting pretty close to the actual SAS. I've been scouring local salvage yards for donor parts. So far I have a rev. cut D44 with both radius arms and ONE radius arm (frame) mount . I must have located ten 1979 F-150 trucks and they all have different mounts than the one I have. Mine provides ~4" drop while the others I've seen are snugged up directly under the frame. Does anyone know another donor vehicle I could try? 1979 Bronco perhaps?

Also, should I use the '79 F-150 coil towers instead of modifying the Navajo towers to accept EB coils? Does anyone have a picture of one?

Thanks...

Yes the 79 bronco has the same set up as the F150. You said that your bracket is for a 4inch lift right? I would recomend using the stock brackets. The ones that fit snug against the frame. I was going to use the bronco coil buckets just seemed easier to me.

No, perhaps I was unclear.

I bought a rev. cut D44 with radius arms still attached. One RA still had the stock frame bracket attached (bent to hell). It provides about 4" of drop. The RA brakets on the 79 F-150 I saw today were different and only drop around 1". Based on everything I've read the 4" drop brakets make for better caster angle. Also, if I use the 1" drop brakets I'd surely have to modify/replace the engine x-member to keep the pumpkin from making contact.

So I'm looking for a pair of the 4" drop brakets and wanted to know what donors to look under.

I can email pics of both if it would help...

Back