Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid AXLE SWAP (IM BACK!!!!!!!!)

Well sorry I havn't posted in so long. Well here it is. Oh
and just in case your wondering, ya I will have updated photo's for my external/internal roll cage cut off the roof
project in no more than two weeks (that's when it should be finished.

Now I have been doing some offroading here lately and have had some bad luck, includin vreaking three hubs then two axles. So after I got frustrated I did something horrible, its called starting a new project without finishing the first one, but what the hell.

I am installing a front dana 44 / high pinion axle assembly with a spool/ oh and don't forget 5.13 gears in the front out of a full size 1979 F-150, and a Ford 9 Inch diff in the rear / with a spool / 5.13 gears. Last but not least I will not be cutting down the axles, I will be running full wifth axles ( only adds 3 inches on each side).

here are the pics

9352fx1.jpg

9352fx2.jpg

9352fx4.jpg

9352fx5.jpg

9352fx6.jpg

9352fx3.jpg

9352fx8.jpg

9352fx9.jpg

9352fx10.jpg

9352fx12.jpg

9352fx13.jpg

9352fx15.jpg

9352fx16.jpg

9352fx17.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats on the SAS. You will be so happy. Ex is looking good. Keep up the good work.

Dang looks good, and going full width will that keep the ra's in line with the frame???

I want a full list of EVERYTHING tagged on that donor rig!!!:D

The swap looks great so far...............................

Glad your still around. Your X is going to be killer after the sas. Then all you will need is a power convertable top!:D

Thnx for the encouragement. Well back to making brackets, the radius arm bracket was just a temp until i figure out what to do. I pulled back off now and reworked it using square tubing 2x6. Its a lot stronger now and I got a hell of a good weld on it.

mike, thought u fell of the face of the earth. glad u are still in 1 piece and still around.
looks good man. when is it gonna be up and running.
how is the baby and the family.

well here are some more pics of the two spools I am installing with new 5.13 gears!

9352fx18.jpg

The one on the left is for the 9 inch ford diff and on the right is the dana 44 spool. both with 5.13 gears attached.

9352fx19.jpg

There is the beautiful tooth pattern I made with just minimal adjustments.

9352fx20.jpg

Ok here are some pics of the radius arm brackets that I'm making (home made lift to suit my solid axle), and the modification I made to my trans crossmember so that my method could be used.

9352fx21.jpg
this is the one that I already finished
9352fx25.jpg
here are some pics of the one I am finishing up.
9352fx26.jpg

9352fx27.jpg

here is my modification to the crossmember
9352fx23.jpg
9352fx24.jpg

And finally here is the mess I made, I'll have more up soon!
9352fx22.jpg

YIKES! Looks pretty good.....are you planning to run a support between the brackets?

Looks like you used the stock (f-250?) brackets and welded them to some stock so they would end up just outside the frame rail.

Have you seen the work Grape Ape did on his Ranger using the same brackets? You could incorporate the tranny X member into the radius arm brackets.....

gonna be sweet.......

Yes, actually I am about to go outside right now and weld in the middle section (2x6 square tubing .135 wall).
I have also considered the crossmember however did not do it, because next year I will be performing a swap with a 5.0L / C-6 Transmission / NP205 - NP203 transfer case adapted. I will then finish making the center section into my support for the trans. I just didn't want to waste the time now and have to cut and reweld to make it work with my swap.

By the way the reason this is going so fast (faster than the roll cage deal) is because I am doing it in my own two car garage and my wife wants here parking space back. LOL!:D

I HEAR THAT! hahaha...

My next major mod is a full cage for the BII, unlike many others though I will not be chopping the top...I will be making soft windows for the side, a 2 piece tailgate so I can remove the top half.... :)

WOMen always want to park their cars in our shop space....Pffffffffffffttt when will they learn? hahaha Man if she didnt have to park there I would have a 36" tv, couch, play station, and a fridge in there!!

LOL!

That's funny!:cool:

410, You make sure you let me know when you need those canvas windows made. I think that you should go ahead and place the order. :p

WOMen always want to park their cars in our shop space....Pffffffffffffttt when will they learn?

Tell me about it!

Good to have you back in full swing Michael!

Great to be back on track Rick, by the way when I'm finish which will be soon, I'd like to come back to Arizona for another run.

Originally posted by Msupertek
Great to be back on track Rick, by the way when I'm finish which will be soon, I'd like to come back to Arizona for another run.

Absolutely. Can't wait :D

looks good. spool in front? i assume you're planning on hydro assist then? be VERY careful mixing throttle with sharp turns. ;) git it done and meet us at Gilmer sometime. or better yet, git it done and go on the HotSprings run with us. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive been to Gilmer several times here lately but only once with other X's.

The spoll is no new thing for me, I was running welded spyder gears in the front diff for quite a while, and I just sold it to a friend of truckmajic. Let me know some mor info on your runn coming up at hot springs, I'd like to attend.:cool:

I'll have more pics on in about an hour I just finished the suspension in front, all I have to do know is install the ring and pinion then the front is done.:D

Back