Solved - SOLVED- 20 Limited plug in & tow? No way? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved SOLVED- 20 Limited plug in & tow? No way?

Post number 20 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Would you happen to have the part number for the OEM bumper wiring harness? I just put the OEM hitch/bumper on my 21 XLT but used the accessory wiring.

Here’s what I used:
Hitch Assembly: LB5Z-17D826-B
Accessory tow wiring: FT1Z-15A416-A
Trailer hitch bolts: W718875-S439
Rear Bumper assembly cover: LB5Z-17K835-BB
Plastic support for the bumper: LB5Z-17E855-B
Valence (would look better with dual exhaust tips): LB5Z-17K835-BDPTM
Misc clips/screws/rivets.

Aside from what you note, based on threads here, we’re missing the oil cooler, and Ford didn’t wire the brake controller wire all the way through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That all looks about right, I bought the whole thing from LKQ online and the body shop installed it. Im only hauling a boat and small trailers and dont need the brake controller wire.

Spoke with the Tech and said that this vehicle is capable of towing 5000lb and with that part you should be fine.
Since your vehicle left the factory without the tow package, it is legally limited to towing 3000 lbs as shown in your Owner's Manual. That cannot be changed as mentioned in several posts. I'm not familiar with what the 6th gen tow package includes but the 5th gen has several added items.

Peter

*******************UPDATE**********************************

As mentioned previously our 2020 Limited 2.3L came from the factory WITHOUT a OEM hitch.
Purchased it from IAAI and Body shop replaced damaged bumper with OEM hitch and bumper combo.

"FIXED"*******Service Tech said the computer recognizes the towing harness connected BUT there is no way they can plug and play the new OEM into the existing bumper harness and get the lights to work without adding some BTM module or something. He said that Ford poorly designed the hitch and the only way to get the 4-pin to work is to buy PART FT1Z15A416A and have it installed. All said and done came out to around $450.

Spoke with the Tech and said that this vehicle is capable of towing 5000lb and with that part you should be fine.
As Peter stated, you are still at 3,000lb tow rating

Back