SOLVED 2007 xlt drivetrain wrench light help??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOLVED 2007 xlt drivetrain wrench light help???

bobditts

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
2007 xlt 4.0. As you can see in the picture, my "wrench" light (drivetrain malfunction indicator) has illuminated.

IMG_20170622_161659438.jpg

Here are the specifics...

- Only triggers illumination at 65mph or above. Stays off during city driving.
- Does not matter if cruise control is used or not
- Stays illuminated once triggered until the vehicle is turned off.
- Does not throw any codes when illuminated
- Check engine light has not been triggered.
- Vehicle still drives normal. Occasionally it will have a shutter or rough idle while the light is illuminated.

Troubleshooting steps already performed...

- Visual vacuum lines inspection
- cleaned MAF and throttle body
- Visual engine bay inspection. No obvious signs of trouble.
- Replaced Throttle body, TPS, and throttle motor

I did replace the big vacuum line that attaches to the top of the intake manifold and goes to a contraption near the drivers side fender well. I also had to repair the wiring that connects to the TPS as it was touching hot metal and was burning through the shielding. Neither of these repairs fixed the problem.

Any suggestions what to look for would be great. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The codes are there, but you need a better scanner, maybe at the dealer. Otherwise, it's all guessing, ABS ring slightly cracked, ABS harness going to the front wheels damaged, ........... list goes on.

The scanner was at autozone. Im not sure what they use. What kind of scanner should I be looking for?

Torque converter is taking a dump I bet, seen it a few times on 07+ models. It throws the light on when it doesn't get 100% lockup. Check your codes and go from there.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will go head and order a reader and post up what I find. Happy Independence day!

Good idea

Make sure it reads tranny codes. My Inova does not.

Well I finally purchased the usb OBDII reader and found that I have a P0741 code. Tried resetting it and it came back. Checked the tranny fluid level yesterday and that didnt fix it either. After doing some google searching, I am hoping it is the solenoid pack because that is the next easiest fix. If it is the valves, then that is an easy fix too, just a lot more expensive.

can any experts out there confirm which solenoid pack I should be purchasing for a 2007 xlt xploder with the 4.0 v6? I am seeing way too many options out there. Thanks

Bobditts, have you been driving this whole year with the wrench light? Did you pin point the codes to the solenoid pack? Oddly enough mine just threw a wrench light/CEL yesterday evening. I was doing slightly more spirited driving than I normally do. It wasn't really driving any different, maybe holding rpms a little higher. Of course though, when I got to my destination and shut off/turned back on, no error code. Just drove 30ish miles today and nothing... Oh the joys of owning an Explorer.

Bobditts, have you been driving this whole year with the wrench light? Did you pin point the codes to the solenoid pack? Oddly enough mine just threw a wrench light/CEL yesterday evening. I was doing slightly more spirited driving than I normally do. It wasn't really driving any different, maybe holding rpms a little higher. Of course though, when I got to my destination and shut off/turned back on, no error code. Just drove 30ish miles today and nothing... Oh the joys of owning an Explorer.

I sure have. It drives perfectly fine when the light is on. I also noticed that there is no change in RPMs before, during and after the wrench light appears. This is why I am thinking it is the solenoid pack and not the torque converter. I could be wrong. There are way too many different versions of the solenoid packs out there so I need someone to confirm. Even Rockauto has 2 different ones about $200 difference.

Eeeee, best of luck, I wish I could help with your question :(. I have found a few Facebook groups that have a lot of 4th gen support (Ford Explorer Club, Ford Explorer Club of America) and a lot more audience participation just FYI.

PS - Just drove another 30ish+ miles and hasn't thrown another code... Doesn't surprise me :)

SOLVED. Turns out it was the transmission valve body. Replaced it and its working like a champ.

Back