Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30?

albator

Reaction score
City, State
Bonny Doon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Which oil do you recommend?
5W-20 or 5W30?
Synthetic, mix or non-synthetic?
What about those "high-mileage" oils?
My engine is 1999 4.0 SOHC, 200k miles

At Costco they have either the Mobil-1 High-Mileage, or the Kirkland oil
Both full synthetic, Costco is half price.

What about the oil filter?
Motorcraft or aftermarket?
- E7TZ-6731A (FL-1A)
- D9AZ-6731A (FL-1HP)

Filter price: FL-1HP cost 3 times the price of FL-1A)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford now recommends using what was originally made for the vehicle which is 5w30. I tried 5w20 but saw no difference so I went back to 5w30 using Mobil 1 full Synthetic not the high mileage stuff. Some people swear by the Royal Purple and Amsoil but once again saw no real benefit from using them IMO. I always use the Motorcraft FL-1 filter nothing else. I have 672,00 miles on the original engine and she still purrs like a kitten.

67k or 672k miles?

Yes for 5W-30, thanks.

Motorcraft 05W/30 synthetic blend and filter.

Oil - 5W30 (I use full synthetic because if synthetic blend is good, full synthetic is better)

Oil filter - Motorcraft is a good choice and WIX is slightly better. Stay away from cheap oil filters (like Fram, STP ect). If you want to spend more money on a filter Purolator Boss and Mobil 1 are really good filters (there are other good brands). If you don't know which size filter to use, some engines use a 3/4" SAE (Motorgraft FL1A) filter and some use a 22mm (Motorcraft FL820S) filter. They are not interchangeable.

I'd recommend using the best oil and filter you can afford. It's cheap insurance. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Purolator Boss extended life oil filters on my V8's and I change my oil roughly once a year (6,000 - 7,000 miles or less). On my V6 I use regular 5W30 Mobil 1 full synthetic with a Motorcraft or Wix oil filter and I change the oil at (3,000 - 5000 miles) or twice a year.

Started using Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30 and Motorcraft FL-1A every 6,000 miles since I hit 100K around 2005.

Synthetic oil, Motorcraft filter. Period. End of sentence. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Synthetic oil, any major brand. Top quality filter, Motorcraft/wix/mobile1. No high mileage oils, no wacky additives. I’d run the 5w30, but it probably wouldn’t matter if you used the 5w20.

I just ordered full synthetic 5W30, and the Motorcraft FL-1A filter. It will arrive next week (or 2 weeks?).

I bought both:
- mobil 1 High Mileage, it's on sale at Costco.com, $29 for 6 quarts
- kirkland full synthetic, $30 for 2 jugs, each 5 quarts, so 10 quarts total

I didn't know which one to chose. Both are full synthetic, 5w-30

I hope y'all doing well. I have been in lockdown for a few weeks because I'm helping a neighbor who is old, and I don't want her to catch the virus. So I'm extra cautious, and I kinda enjoy the solitude and calmness. I actually really enjoy not driving, staying home, cooking rice and beans, thinking, reading... and now I have time to take care of my truck!

Thanks a lot for your help and advice!

I run Shell Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in everything I own (cars, trucks, bikes) except my airplane. Wet clutch compatible in the motorcycles. Been doing that for well over a decade. It is fantastic oil at a great price.

FL1A for the SOHC, FL820S for the 5.0

Fl1a filter and m1 5-30 only
I change it at 3k seems early but this is a sohc so sooner is better

I’d skip the high mileage. The last thing you want to do on that old SOHC is dislodge some sludge and plug up some oil passages in the motor.

Thanks for the advice. I will use the "normal" full synthetic from Costco.
I preferred it anyway because it comes in 5 quart jugs, not the 1 quart bottles. Less plastic waste.
And it's 40% cheaper. 10 quarts for the same price ($30) as 6 quarts. I love Costco!

I don't understand why most oil in the US is sold in 1 quart bottles?
It's such a waste of plastic packaging.

I’d skip the high mileage. The last thing you want to do on that old SOHC is dislodge some sludge and plug up some oil passages in the motor.

Because a lot of people only add oil as they leak it and burn it out. A lot of cars now a days don’t take 5 quarts, as well.

+1 for any major brand 5w-30 synthetic and the FL1A filter.

I've never noticed a real difference in any of the oils I've tried but there's obvious differences between filter brands. The Motorcraft filters are cheap enough there's no excuse to get a crappy filter.

I've tried regular and high mileage and haven't noticed any difference, including the oil drips on the garage floor.

How do I mark this thread as "solved"?

Regular Mobil 1 Syn and FL-1A filter change at 3000 miles intervals

Motorcraft FL820S
Mobil 5W30 Synthetic.
Both are very cheap in Walmart
Every 6 months only cuase I don't drive it much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OP - You can only change the title if you go back and edit post #1 (your original post).

Back