Solved. Rattling noise in drive after a cold start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved. Rattling noise in drive after a cold start.

BrooklynTee

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT. When I first put the car in drive from a cold start it rattles. Less than 5 minutes later, the after the car has warmed up, the rattle is gone and the car/cabin is quiet as a mouse. Is this normal or should I have it looked at? Anyone else experience this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
A rattle upon start up is not normal. Is this a recent occurrence or has it always done this? Does it matter if you let it idle or drive right after starting it? It could be something underneath possibly related to the exhaust system meaning the rattle goes away when heat expands it. A shield or cover?? Just a shot in the dark.

Peter

This has happened for the last month. It doesn't matter if I drive immediately or let it idle. It only goes away after the needle is in the middle between hot and cold.

Have you asked someone else to start the car (cold) and put it in drive while you walk around the outside of the vehicle and try to locate the source of the noise (before the vehicle warms up and the rattling stops)?

If it's still under warranty, you could also take it in to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Have you asked someone else to start the car (cold) and put it in drive while you walk around the outside of the vehicle and try to locate the source of the noise (before the vehicle warms up and the rattling stops)?

If it's still under warranty, you could also take it in to the dealer and let them figure it out.
Yes, that is my plan.

So took the truck in to my local mechanic just to see what was going on before I wasted any time at Ford. And the issues was the flex pipe. Part of it had rusted and which was causing the noise. He replaced it with a new one for $100.00. Car is so quiet I hardly know its on.

That's an odd part to fail so quickly, especially to rust in 2-3 years. Since you paid out of pocket at the local mechanic, did you inspect/get the old part? Any pics?

I assume they just cut out the bad section of OE exhaust and replaced with an aftermarket/clamp on flex pipe as $100 is pretty inexpensive and I think the OE flex pipe section is way more than $100.

The last exhaust work I did in many years was last year on a 2003 Chevy - resonator finally rusted out and got very noisy after 14 years of MI winters and excessive road salt - flex pipe was still going strong on that vehicle.

I've replaced the flex pipe, various sections of the exhaust, clamps, etc, on my 1995 van several times over the years. These parts aren't designed to last forever. Anything which has constant movement will eventually get loose or develop cracks over time. The stainless steel parts don't corrode like the bare iron exhaust parts, so they last a little longer than regular iron parts.

I've replaced the flex pipe, various sections of the exhaust, clamps, etc, on my 1995 van several times over the years. These parts aren't designed to last forever. Anything which has constant movement will eventually get loose or develop cracks over time. The stainless steel parts don't corrode like the bare iron exhaust parts, so they last a little longer than regular iron parts.

Back in the 70's/80's, I think it was more common to see exhaust parts rusting and needing to be replaced in a few years and that seemed to change in the 90's/00's where it was more common to see exhaust parts or mufflers not needing repair/replacement due to rust until closer to 5 years or more.

Modern factory exhaust systems on newer vehicles made of stainless steel have an expected life span of 8-10 years for most climates - many effectively last the life of the vehicle. Factors such as short trips and excessive road salt can shorten the expected life, but not to 2-3 years. Cheapo, aftermarket exhaust parts (****ty aluminized steel) are the ones that are usually lucky to go a year or a few at best.

Other than the rusted exhaust I repaired last year, I can't think of the last time I replaced an exhaust due to rust on a vehicle that was less than 8-10 years old. The area I live has always heavily salted their roads and I've had to deal with my fair share of rust/corrosion over the years. I've had a few exhaust clamps/bolts that rusted and needed to be replaced and I've put on a few performance exhausts (full and catback) over the years but not due to rust.

Back