Some Front End Help from the Knowledgeable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some Front End Help from the Knowledgeable

45Frank

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge Mnts of WNC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
OK replaced rear brakes and rotors, pretty easy.
This is what I found when checking the front brakes which were in good shape by the way. There is some type of fluid leaking from this boot?
Any Help onto what it is and a fix?
IMG_20150629_123859_zpssy4evkto.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That boot is covering the inner tie rod end. It looks like you may be leaking power steering fluid. You can check the fluid level to confirm this, but that's what it looks like to me.

That boot is covering the inner tie rod end. It looks like you may be leaking power steering fluid. You can check the fluid level to confirm this, but that's what it looks like to me.
I just bought this less then a week ago.
The PS fluid isn't low but it also doesn't look or smell like power steering fluid either. I will keep an eye on it though, kind of looks and smells like burnt motor oil. Just hope it's not a hard fix is all.
Also the explorer drives and steers great, no slop or squeals.

Ford recommends the use of Mercon/Mercon V ATF in the power steering. It starts out pink, but can turn almost black with age. It looks like you have a power rack seal that is leaking. A rather hard and expensive job to replace the rack (really hard on a 4WD/AWD). Clean it up and keep an eye on the fluid level. If it's just a small leak you might want to wait until it gets worse. Lucas makes a power steering stop leak. You could try that. It's "guarantied" to work so I guess they'll give you money back if it doesn't work. It's around $10.

Had to have the rack replaced. Oh well!

Back